Featured Chinese Silk Embroidered Skirt Panels

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by acvintage, Mar 22, 2022.

1. acvintage

acvintage Member

Chinese Silk Embroidery - I have two matching sections which look like sections from some of the antique Chinese Qing Dynasty silk skirts I've found online. Mine are in such new looking, unused condition that I really need help with age and any other useful information. Any help appreciated.

forum32222_2.JPG
    forum32222_1.JPG

forum32222_3.JPG

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
    judy, komokwa and Houseful like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Looks like hand work to me - the stitches are uneven - this is a good sign. The underlying brocade does not appear to be silk though. I am no expert on fabrics, but silk has a thin, flat look in my experience. The embroidery itself may well be silk. Silk thread holds its color well. The design is simple and the stitches are broad. Higher quality designs have smaller stitches and more varied types of stitches. This is all I can discern. I collect different kind of work, so I can't help with age. I am still learning myself.

judy and komokwa like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing about the fabric. Doesn't have the age or quality I would expect. What does the reverse look like?

Debora

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  5. acvintage

acvintage Member

I've attached four photos. The first two are the reverse. The one with the ruler is the front, shows scale and a hidden butterfly. Can't show the embroidery back of this section as it is lined.

The last photo is an add'l view of the back. The golden ground is like a semi sheer mesh like damask.

The embroidery work, black inserts and blue emb inserts are definitely silk.

forum32322_001.JPG

forum32322_003.JPG

forum32322_002.JPG

forum32322_004.JPG

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
    KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Sorry, just joining in with the agreement that it appears to be lower "tourist" quality.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  7. acvintage

acvintage Member

I have attached a photo and included link of someone else's sold completed skirt that looks like part of mine - to my untrained eye. The embroidery work, colors and the skirt front panel has the same background fabric (with same squiggle pattern) but in white instead of my golden.

Not questioning anyone's expertise but I am trying to LEARN. If mine looks like newer, cheaper or tourist version - will anyone/everyone please explain why so I can learn and know for next time. I would really appreciate knowing what to look for.

The link below is of the listing and shows closeups of the various sections and the photo below from google shows the price it was listed at (it has sold). Part of description indicates this item was appraised by an expert. I definitely can't afford to do that ... Any further help appreciated.

https://www.rubylane.com/item/15344...ntique-Chinese-Silk-Embroidered-Panel-Wedding

forum32322_008.jpg

8. komokwa

try selling yours at that price......that's one way to learn..

9. acvintage

acvintage Member

Ha! Thx, @komokwa - that was really helpful.

I've attached 2 more photos. The first one shows small parts of 3 items I had. For comparison I've included a small section of the one I'm asking about. Looks like the floral embroidery HIGHLIGHTING details are much more detailed on my previous items so I think I've got it now.

forum32322_005.jpg
    forum32322_006.jpg

10. acvintage

acvintage Member

Still not sure how to date this though. 1980s or so?

komokwa likes this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Imagine you are a young girl in a village preparing for your wedding. You buy fabric from a vendor; you cut it and create the creases, and you spend countless hours embroidering designs and symbols on it. You create a richly embroidered center section with traditional themes and perhaps, your special lucky tokens or favorite flowers. All eyes will be upon you on this special day, so you want to show off your skills. You line each crease with a hand embroidered ribbon of blue flowers that match the ribbon on the bottom of the skirt.
    Compare this with your simpler garment, which is a homage to those traditional skills. The creases are suggested. The embroidered ribbon is applied and there is no center panel. Does this help?

komokwa likes this.
  12. komokwa

these things are hard to date.......but yours are lovely !!:happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted