Chinese Porcelain Plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, May 21, 2015.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Wonder if it has some age or it is very recent. The mark is apocryphal Jiaqing. It looks a bit like Guanxu period but somehow the colors and the decoration tell me that it is post Republic.
    Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

You all ready know it is a Jiaqing, but incase you haven't seen it on the Gotheborg site, the mark is identical to #593 under the "Jiaqing Nian Zhi, Da Qing" section. This section is described as:

"Mark referring to the Qing dynasty Jiaqing period 1796-1820 but is later. During the 1960s to 70s this was a common mark on porelain made in China but decorated in Macao or Hong Kong."

and #593 says:
    "593. Mark: Da Qing Jiaqing Nian Zhi - "Great Qing Jiaqing period (1796-1820) made" but c. 1980-90."

http://www.gotheborg.com/marks/20thcenturychina.shtml

--- Susan

gimbler-dave and 'Nuff_Said like this.
  3. kardinalisimo

How is this mark identical to 593? It is not. But the mark really does not matter in those cases. It matters only when you doubt if the piece is from the period or not. Not everyone in China can draw seal marks. On Imperial pieces a special caligrapher was used to draw them.
    Jiaqing mark was common for 60's and 70's? Maybe, but like every other reign mark it was used during all the periods after, Guangxu, Tongzhi etc.

4. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

Wow!

What a great way of saying: "thank you so much for your reply, link and help". :vomit:

***shaking my head***

5. Ladybranch

>How is this mark identical to 593? It is not.<

LOL. My same feelings 'Nuff. Kardinalismo, obviously I should not have used the word "identical." I should have said something like the same characters in both marks. As these marks were draw/written by hand, they certainly would not be identical. It would be like you writing a word such as forum and I writing the word forum. Our penmanship would be different, but they both would contain the letters f o r u m. To me both marks have the same characters. Here are the 2 marks side by side.

--- Susan

Mk-combo.jpg

gregsglass likes this.
  6. kardinalisimo

Nuff, c'mon, don't puke, there was no disrespect.
    Susan, I know nothing about caligraphy but when it comes to Chinese seals on porcelain, that is a serious business. In my opinion they are both not quite right. They are meant to read the same but look carefully how the characters differ. Chinese caligraphy is an art and that is why sometimes only experts can tell if the seal is authentic and from the period or not.
    If you say something like " your mark is the same like the one on the gotheborg website..." that would mean the piece is from the
    70's. Could be, but you can have similar mark from Republic and 18c. periods.
    It has been said many times, the marks on Chinese porcelain are the last thing to look at to determine the age. Other things like age signs, the enamels, colors, styles of drawing, decorative motifs, shapes, foot rims, glaze etc have to be taken in consideration.

Daily hint: If the reign mark is not in the center ( in some cases could be just a bit off ) the piece is very likely to be quite recent.

7. Ladybranch

Just thought it might help. Obviously not.

--- Susan

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not every find will be a yixing.....

Draft saved Draft deleted