Chinese Porcelain 'Piano Baby'? No Signature: Age? Purpose?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by wlwhittier, May 24, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

She's about 8 inches long, right fingers to toes, and ~4¾ inches high. Her head & body have been slip-cast separately; probably the green medallion as well, but I cannot see enough to confirm that. Her weight is just shy of 400 grams. ('Her' is assumed due to the pink garment; a dangerous viewpoint, I know.)

Several details are worth pointing out; her hair, that's been shaven away, is done by the finest stippling I've ever seen...it has texture! The blush on her cheeks is also a very fine matte finish. Then there's that medallion...not enough detail to say what it might be.

Her head & facial features are exquisite anatomically and in symmetry; the position of the pupils perfectly creates a gaze focused at infinity. Whoever crafted this child was masterful in artistic expression where it mattered.

I cannot find another example of an Asian Piano Baby...perhaps she's something else. She's smaller than most of them.

Some of you will be of great help about her, I know...Thanks!

Just found this on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/164865332112

fullsizeoutput_418b.jpeg fullsizeoutput_4183.jpeg fullsizeoutput_4185.jpeg fullsizeoutput_4188.jpeg fullsizeoutput_418a.jpeg fullsizeoutput_418d.jpeg

Last edited: May 24, 2022
    LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Very cute!

judy likes this.
  3. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

The mark on the one on ebay is post war, probably 1970's or so from the looks, can't help otherwise, sorry.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted