Chinese Plate in Green Cinnabar?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mama's Stuff Vintage, Feb 1, 2019.

1. I inherited this plate from my mama. It may have belonged to my paternal grandfather, who was known to frequent the "junk" shops in Manhattan during the 1920s-1940s. I have posted the plate on other groups and the only response was "it looks like Cinnabar". But cinnabar is read. Does anyone recognize this type of plate?

IMG_0316 x600.png IMG_0318 x650.png IMG_0316 x600.png IMG_0318 x650.png

Attached Files:

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

It looks like it might be plaster because of those chips. Pretty color. Id call it cinnabar style .

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Cinnabar most often refers to the mineral used to color lacquer - traditionally mercuric sulphide, which is red. But lacquer can be colored with other pigments. This may just be an example of green lacquer, carved like the more typical red lacquer. But lacquer work was usually done over a wood substrate, or sometimes a papier mache like material. I would not expect to see the white material visible at points of damage as johnnycb09 has also noted. So it might be plaster with a coating trying to imitate a celadon glazed ceramic.

4. Thanks - that's the most definitive answers I've seen :)

judy likes this.
  5. Any idea what decade this might be from?

judy likes this.
  6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

No, sorry. But my guess would be not too long before your grandfather may have acquired it.

Mama's Stuff Vintage and judy like this.
  7. lpan9

lpan9 Active Member

Pressed plaster. No collectors would buy pressed.

Mama's Stuff Vintage likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted