Chinese or Japanese Bone China Coffee Cups & Saucers

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by MrD, Oct 5, 2019.

1. MrD

MrD Member

Hi, could anyone give me info on these, my mum was given these as a 4 year old, about 80 years ago, the man that gave them thought they were a dolls set.

Thanks. 93773CEA-53CE-416F-AF7D-FC9B1ED159E0.jpeg A34B52C5-8EB2-4281-92FF-8D3EB03CB470.jpeg

2. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Looks like Japanese Dragon Ware.

blooey, i need help and Bakersgma like this.
  3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

We call this stuff "Yokohama" - It is porcelain from Japan with applied designs (usually dragons) in slip, called "moriage". Searching those two terms with cup and saucer should give you further info.

Your mark is upside-down but I think it's a Kutani mark

i need help and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

All right side up now.....

ZZZZZZ -8EB2-4281-92FF-8D3EB03CB470.jpeg ZZZZZZ -53CE-416F-AF7D-FC9B1ED159E0.jpeg

blooey and i need help like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

When flipped the right way up as in Aquitaine's picture, the top 3 characters read "Dai Nippon" (Great Japan in English.) First quarter of the 20th century at most recent, I think. Can be earlier.

i need help likes this.
  6. MrD

MrD Member

Thank you all, fantastic help as always. I will get the hang of uploading photos one day!!

Thank you.

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted