Chinese (?) necklace, 3 -face bead.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever seen similar? Wondering what the material of the beads is. Some are discolored as shown. The face beads are so unusual. One has 2 faces, one has 3, and then there is a snake. It seems to have some quality, I don't think tremendously old, but could be 2nd half of 20th century I suppose. Any keywords, thoughts, all appreciated!

neck3.jpg neck4.jpg neck5.jpg neck6.jpg neck7.jpg neck8.jpg

jackolin likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The beads are ivory.
    Ivory was still sold in department stores in the mid 1980s.

It's a nice looking necklace, I like. Sorry can't help more.

Will quickly add the discoloration seems to be from around the neck, probably from perspiration, perfume, and/or hairspray.

Lucille.b likes this.
  3. Lucille.b

Thank you, Cluttered.

Not sure what my next step is... I am not crazy about selling ivory, plus I don't think you can sell it on Ebay, so maybe moot.

I've found other necklaces online with 2 face beads sort of situated like this, surrounded by plain beads, but the necklaces I saw almost couldn't be more different. Sort of ghoulish faces, and the beads were a mottled green, seller said "jade" but hard to tell. I wounder if this is a modern updated version of an antique design?

Still going to poke around to see if I can find anything remotely similar.

If anyone else has ideas, please let me know. Thanks!

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Lucille,
    I love that necklace.
    greg

Lucille.b, jackolin and judy like this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

It looks like one my grandma had,except hers didnt have crystal beads. I think its beautiful,ivory issues notwithstanding.

Lucille.b likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Well, since you asked....I don't believe it is what it is......and it is what it is.
    It's an ivory ball bead necklace with 3 carvings.
    I don't know there to be any special style or name to go with it.
    I think it's been messed with....likely restrung at some point to turn a choker , somewhat longer.
    I see one misplaced knot , and poor graduation of the beads close to the clasp.

Those glass or plastic beads are unknown to me for this type of necklace, and imo , ruin the look of the natural materials, & take away from the carvings , which should be the focal point of the piece.

The clasp with it's safety lock , looks 1960's.....maybe into the 70's.

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Lucille.b

I found the first one online, too. Comparing to that one, this is positively newer, not as old, for sure. I also agree with the 60's-70's time frame being a strong possibility.

The inability to find anything similar in age had me wondering too if this was a custom piece, or redone, although the carved face beads seem also 60's-70's. The top beads are hand knotted, where that ends is where you are seeing what looks like a misplaced knot.

The clear beads are glass or some kind of crystal. The clasp is brass.

Thanks for taking a look.

Draft saved Draft deleted