Chinese is it woodblock print and what is the border?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Kevolee, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

I haven't come across anything like this. My best guess is hand colored wood block print from China. I say China because it has China in large letters stamped on it. The border out from the drawing looks almost like some metallic ribbon with gold leaf or even painted gold leaf. there is tissue looking paper beyond that and the frame. The whole thing is interesting but I have no clue as to anything about it. I especially love the small painted cat. Excluding the frame and tissue it measures about 16.25" by ll.25" would love if someone has some ideas to help let me know what this is called and maybe how old it may be. Thanks for any ideas.

IMG_7011.JPG IMG_7013.JPG IMG_7014.JPG

IMG_7017.JPG
    IMG_7046.JPG

IMG_7015.JPG IMG_7018.JPG
    IMG_7016.JPG
    IMG_7019.JPG

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

mixed media art..

3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

looks like someone framed some attractive wrapping paper ...tea maybe?

Bakersgma and KSW like this.
  4. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Actually I think I stumbled upon the answer. Pretty sure it is a fireworks box lid or some sort of fireworks related advertisement. "embossed fireworks labels from Foshan or Fatshan near Canton." They are hard to research because most I have found are on sites you need a subscription for. The prices are all over the place for the few I found for sale. I guess that could be for a variety of reasons. If anyone has better research skills than I and can find some informative information I would truly appreciate it.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted