Featured Chinese horse figurines, help with mark and age please!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by lvetterli, Dec 30, 2023.

1. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

It's almost New Year's Eve and I'm sorting and washing stuff. These have been sitting waiting to go somewhere but to do that I'd really like to know about how old they might be (I'm thinking pretty new, bases are very white and show zero wear) and maybe what the mark on one is. As always, I am very appreciative of any assistance given. These stand almost 7" tall and are just over 6" in length.

20231230_150503.jpg 20231230_150517.jpg 20231230_150530.jpg 20231230_150647.jpg

I will work on a better picture of the mark here in a few minutes.

Thanks! Linda

2. lvetterli

20231230_153335.jpg

Is this good enough to read?

3. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

judy, Figtree3 and Bakersgma like this.
  4. gckimm

gckimm Active Member

Hi:

The seal on the bottom of this modern item is the name of the pottery factory (陶工厂). Incidentally, in the larger photo, the seal is upside down--but how would you know if you don't read Chinese? :)

Greg

5. lvetterli

Thank you so much. I had no illusion that these were old but felt they were nicely done for new.

Linda

judy likes this.
  6. pvgirl93

pvgirl93 New Member

We actually have these exact ones. My grandparents traveled and worked in China in the 70s and 80s. That would be my estimated date of creation

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  7. lvetterli

Thank you so much!

Linda

judy likes this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

They are beautiful. I saw larger versions of those in a museum once.

judy likes this.
  9. lvetterli

I'm sure those were much older than these. But they are nice quality I think.

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Worth noting, I believe this is a traditional Tang Dynasty design. So around 7th or 8th century. This is one of the most common Chinese designs that’s reproduced today. The home of many traveled/worldly older folks will feature one or two. This is the other very common to find Chinese horse design. This one is usually found in bronze. https://www.chairish.com/product/42...F02pQo7gtHGx-Z3SfHKad38TNRID1RUBoCOv8QAvD_BwE

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

True. They are still being made today, simply because they are very beautiful.
    Knowing the mark won't matter for the buyers' interest, and they are all of a similar value.
    Only the genuine Tang dynasty horses are worth a lot.

J Dagger, lvetterli and Figtree3 like this.
  12. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Agreed. Just the quality and size would impact the value. Some are nicer than others and they come in all different sizes.

I think they were possibly reproduced in a very early Chinese period centuries after the Tang Dynasty. If so those examples would obviously also be worth more. I could be wrong on that but I believe I’ve heard tell of it happening at some point.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Chinese have always taken an interest in their history, and have been reproducing historical pieces for centuries.

J Dagger likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted