Featured Chinese Famille Rose Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by JTR85000, Mar 16, 2023.

1. JTR85000

JTR85000 New Member

Hello fellow antiquers!

My mother in-law purchased this vase a few weeks ago. She is interested to know more about it if possible :)

This is what she gave me…

11 1/2” Tall & 5 1/2” Wide
    3 1/2” mouth & rim width
    Hand painted porcelain
    Robin’s egg blue bottom & mouth , white glaze interior
    Light weight for size

Any help would be amazing! Thanks for your time!

1F61505A-A723-4BCD-B348-639D5C98A075.jpeg BC81E0BC-87C6-4E53-B0A2-B213D3246DB2.jpeg 1F61505A-A723-4BCD-B348-639D5C98A075.jpeg BC81E0BC-87C6-4E53-B0A2-B213D3246DB2.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

I am no means an expert with Chinese marks...so here goes.

Most likely a repro of a Qianlong Nian Zhi - (Qianlong Period) mark made in Hong Kong during the 1960's to 1970's.

Below is an authentic mark. They look similar but not the same.

You can look further at Gotheborg.com and scroll under Chinese marks.

705_fullsize.jpg

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I agree,
    lovely decorator item.....not brand new.... 1000's out there......& not an antique.

11 1/2 tall........not big for a vase..... of no great value......
    but still , handsome on the shelf !!

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Those pastel colors may mean even later in the 20th century - 80s or 90s would be my guess.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with the others, fairly recent decorative.
    An apocryphal or honorific Qianlong mark, so not of the period, but not a fake either.
    In Chinese porcelain terms robin’s egg blue is much more blue. This colour would be called celadon.

6. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Oh man. That mark on the base sold it to me. I am such a sucker :0

JTR85000 likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

study the Gotheborg site marks........
    and don't be hard on yourself........I buy worse stuff....just cuz it looks nice..

here...have fun....
    homesense pottery dragon logo

JTR85000 and Chinoiserie like this.
  8. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

LOL, don't feel bad. EVERYONE on this board has done the same thing...MULTIPLE times! You don't learn unless you learn from mistakes.

9. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

I must be learning so much then :0)

10. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Like @vitry-le-francois said every member of this forum has over the years bought things that turn out to be not exactly what they thought. :rolleyes::rolleyes::facepalm::facepalm::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Here is my suggestion if you like it as a decorative item keep it around & throw some flowers in it to spruce up the place. :happy::happy:

If you get to the point where you can't stand looking at it because it reminds you that you screwed up then sell it for whatever you can get for it & then move on. ;):p:D:D

Just a suggestion for future purchases. Don't put much stock in marks on items. Look at the construction & the painting or decoration of the piece first. Marks can be faked but typically older items are usually more well constructed & more care was taken with the decoration or the painting of the item. :happy::happy:

Finally do not be so hard on yourself about getting fooled by this type of item. Chinese antiques are littered with pitfalls & some very reputable dealers as well as museums have been fooled over the years. :)

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Yep - Chinese marks are often honorific. They mean "in the style of" rather than an actual date. It's a pretty vase, and if you like it and want to live with it you're good. Porcelain isn't my expertise, but I think that turquoise-y blue glaze on the base is a dead giveaway that it's not old.

Draft saved Draft deleted