Chinese Famille Rose Porcelain Vase w/seal

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by laura9797, Feb 15, 2022.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Good afternoon. I have an other Chinese vase with lovely decor. It has famille rose enamel on porcelain. Standing approx. 12.37 in. The vase was given as a gift and had a hand written note that states it was made in the town of 'King Tak' in the province of Kwang Xi of China. The note goes on to discuss the peacock in the peony tree. I am assuming the backside is a poem? This feels similar to a really nice piece from Qing Jiaqing period (1796-1820) but I am not sure and the mark is a little different. Thoughts?
    Thank you for looking! image3.jpeg image4.jpeg image2.jpeg image1.jpeg image0.jpeg image6.jpeg image7.jpeg

judy likes this.
  2. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

Hello Laura! In my humble opinion, your vase appears to be a late 20th century piece, with a typical design and apocryphal printed mark. Perhaps others would wish to comment ?

Best Regards.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I agree. Relatively recent.

Boland, judy, 15Stiftgasse and 2 others like this.
  4. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

I would agree with 15stiftgasse, these are quite modern, 1970's and you can find earlier.

I found this on Gothborg, dating your vase to 1950. These are quite good to display and make great lamps. I have a similar one myself as they are handpainted, or at least the one i have is. So very good quality and can be found at reasonable prices due to being quite common. Excellent value for the quality despite not being antique, very good vintage.

download - 2022-02-16T052302.396.png download - 2022-02-16T052322.963.png

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
    Boland, laura9797, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone! I went to Gotheborg and must have scrolled past this? I know Jingdezhen is a place where a lot of porcelain came from and still do. Back in the day porcelain from those kilns were highly sought after. It is a pretty vase and the enamel is nice but when I pulled out my loop, definitely mass produced and a bit sloppy. It is a pretty shelf sitter!

6. Francisco G Kempton

Hi Laura, is yours handpainted, I had a look at mine, and the enamel scolls appear handmade but the profile picture, is too perfect to be handpainted. Maybe the sloppiness is a good thing and yours is handpainted, the colour on mine is so precise and not a brush stroke has gone outside the outline of the flowers etc, so it must be machined somehow.

I would be curious how they make these.

7. Francisco G Kempton

Also mine has a hole drilled in, as it is converted to a lamp so i have no backmark. I wil try get a picture. Ours are very similar, i would almnost say identical but i have just flowers and no bird, everything else is the same and yet yours appears handpainted, and mine could not be handpainted as it is too perfect. If it is handpainted then it is by a very good artist.

Draft saved Draft deleted