Chinese Enamel Vases

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by drg642, Mar 24, 2016.

1. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Hi, these vases are big, about 13 inches tall. They are painted enamel on metal, copper or brass I think. Both marked China on the underside. Check out the price tag, which I am not at all suggesting they are worth.

I have done some searching and not seen anything with this shape or geometric/maze design. I've seen other painted enamel pieces called Canton enamel or Peking enamel, but none of those look at all like these vases. Any ideas on what the style is called, or any thoughts about age or value? I like them, think they're attractive, but up close, the work is sloppy in places.

Thanks!

chvase1.JPG chvase2.JPG

chvase4.JPG
    chvase5.JPG

chvase6.JPG

cxgirl and Mill Cove Treasures like this.
  2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

ooooh - so pretty - I can't help... experts?

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Very pretty but I think you hit the nail on the head as far as quality . My guess is last 20-30 years .

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3500 Yuan = $ 525 US

5. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

They don't look particularly old. And yes, the workmanship is pretty sloppy.

6. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

7. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Well, you have key frets, ruyi heads and the "maze" is supposed to look like bronze taotie decoration with dragons. But the depiction is on the funny side.
    Sloppy but charming in a way.

cxgirl and scoutshouse like this.
  8. scoutshouse

Kard - what is this style called?

9. kardinalisimo

Hand painted Canton enamel on copper with taotie decoration. The shape can be considered a variant of "GU". Don't know if there is a term for the style.

cxgirl likes this.
  10. scoutshouse

11. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. Kardinalisimo, how old to you think they are?

scoutshouse likes this.
  12. kardinalisimo

Not sure, canton enamel and cloisonne pieces are tricky to date. Some say that sloppy quality is more recent as opposed to better quality being older. I don't completely agree with that. Depends who made it and for what market.
    "China" mark generally is late 19th to first few decades of 20th C. but I believe it can be seen on much later pieces.
    In my opinion the age here won't really matter.
    If you are planning to sell them, the pictures and a brief description is enough.

13. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Thank you, very helpful.

14. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Kardinalisimo, once again, thanks so much for the information you provided. I've had some time to do some searching using the keywords you provided, and it has been very helpful. I've seen a few somewhat similar pieces, nothing all that close, but enough to help. I was not familiar with the term GU, and that has been the most helpful.

Thanks!

Mill Cove Treasures and cxgirl like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted