Chinese Cloisonné, Several Pieces

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by mr2real, Jun 12, 2015.

1. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

A few of these pieces are red ink stamped "CHINA" and couple have it impressed in the brass. I'm thinking about buying it all. The face isn't cloisonné, it made with foil and clear enamel (I think). Any thoughts as to age, maker, or value is appreciated. Thanks, Joe

(The pink vase is porcelain and about 3" tall. Also, the first piece is the only one with green on the inside and white on the bottom. All the others are either brass or a turquoise color enamel.)
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I'm not good at idenntifying the age of these types of pieces, but there are quite a few in your pics that I like. If I were in the market to buy things, I'd probably pick some of them up. :)

3. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

If you have a home-use for them, sure buy them. I personally wouldn't want to have to try and resell them-they are fair to poor quality IMO-look at the pits, unfinished spots, roughness etc. Some are probably not cloisonné at all since real c. items need brass wire separating the cloisonnes, last time I checked anyway.

The advantage of buying it, if you are in the resale biz, is that you will get experience with what sells and what doesn't. If u want to research the market, look up Ebay closed auctions for similar quality Chinese stuff.

As far as age, I'm guessing it is all 21st. C. stuff.

4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

That's true that they're not all cloisonne. The first one, which I really like, looks hand-painted.

Some of the other pieces do look like cloisonne to me, but without closeup shots, it's hard to tell.

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The yellow one is nicely done enamelled but not cloisonne. The pink vase especially I think is earlier: 1930s or so. I'd like to see its backside. Probably not Chinese.

As to backstamps, 19th C cloisonne was often impress marked, but as Pat says, photos needed. That mask is interesting.

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I particularly like that face with the helmet in the last photo.

7. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

The first five photos are enamel style that some refer to as Canton enamel.

T-fret ground (vase & top stacked bowl) was mostly used in the 1930s-1950s

Draft saved Draft deleted