Chinese Ceramic Box With Lid

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bill Giles, Jul 31, 2023.

1. Bill Giles

Bill Giles Member

I recently came into possession of a very heavy Chinese ceramic? box with a lid. The pattern is hand painted and appears to have some gilding. I have tried looking for the mark on Gotheburg without success. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks tn_Image-1.jpg tn_Image-2.jpg Image-5.jpg Image-3.jpg

Attached Files:

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is fairly recent.
    Maybe try again this way up ;):

Image-4 mark.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Rotate the box a quarter counter clockwise, or turn the little image upside down. It says Nian Zhi Qianlong. The examples on gotheborg all say Qianlong Nian Zhi, and I don't know why yours is backwards, so to speak.

Figtree3 and kentworld like this.
  4. Bill Giles

Bill Giles Member

Thanks for your reply and like yourself, I am baffled as to why the mark seems to back to front.

5. Any Jewelry

The decoration is in a Japanese style. The Chinese do copy Japanese styles though, and there are also Japanese imitations of Chinese styles.

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. Bill Giles

Bill Giles Member

Thanks but for some reason it looks back to front

7. Any Jewelry

Draft saved Draft deleted