Featured Chinese Celadon group

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by henrycow, Aug 26, 2024.

1. henrycow

henrycow Active Member

Any thoughts on this Chinese group.

Length 6"

Height 3"

Attached Files:

Marote, johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They are the three star Gods, Fu, Lu and Shou. They stand for good luck, prosperity and longevity.

I don't see celadon though, but it could be the photo. It looks like white jade with a bit of russet colour.

aaroncab, Marote, Desertau and 5 others like this.
  3. henrycow

henrycow Active Member

Thanks would be nice if it is Jade

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I see stone, but not jade. Serpentine?

Desertau likes this.
  5. Desertau

Desertau Well-Known Member

What do you think, Russian jade the russet color look a little bit unnatural like its treated in that it’s mostly in the low spots

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Desertau

It could be most any white stone it is very hard to tell from the pictures. Some areas look like marble other spots have the hard polished surface characteristic of Jade found in quarries near the China and Russian border but it could be serpentine.

here as some examples of natural russet color on nephrite.
    IMG_2024-08-26-144957.jpeg IMG_2024-08-26-145021.jpeg IMG_2024-08-26-144937.jpeg IMG_2024-08-26-144917.jpeg IMG_2024-08-26-144855.jpeg IMG_2024-08-26-144822.jpeg

7. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

If that’s jade it would be a nice color of jade. If it’s carved and not molded it would pretty good carving. Is that russeting or just crap on the surface? It looks more like surface crap than russet to me. The ruyi scepter or whatever is in his hand looks to be carved out from the rest but I can’t see enough detail in these images to see if it’s all carved or not.

8. henrycow

henrycow Active Member

Hi, thanks for the information I've posted a few more pictures they may help..

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Desertau

There are I few things that make it hard to tell, the white color is very even through and throughout the surface is not areas although you’d expect to be shiny are more than that they look polished and other areas have a sandblasted appearance but that might just be the pictures. But jade is very hard and the differences look more than from environmental exposure? Just sayin it’s all I guess, Russian jade is not oily can have a more glassy translucent look and high quality material is desirable it is as hard as nephrite.

I had a marble Lohan that looked very much like white jade, it had areas where the carver used a russet colored dye following the clothing where it wore away was similar. The base was carved in the same fashion, I think it was early 1900’s

I sent it to an auction house in China a friend manages and it sold to a buyer for $5k less fees. If I can find a picture I’ll add it.

henrycow likes this.
  10. henrycow

henrycow Active Member

thanks think i will take it to local auction house see what they think

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, the russet colour looks stippled and applied to emphasize folds etc. It is a way of suggesting depth that has been around for some time.
    Thank you, that helps.

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Update this thread with further information, if the auction house has any. Love to read updates!

Potteryplease likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted