Chinese Carved Bamboo Root Immortal Statue

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kardinalisimo, Jul 1, 2015.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Wonder if it has some age or more recent?
    Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pat P likes this.
  2. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Dimensions are always appreciated. You can be over 90% certain it was carved in 2nd half of 20th C.

3. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

About 22" tall. What is it that tells the age?

4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

He certainly looks like a jolly sort. I kind of like him. :)

5. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Shoulao.

6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think hes awesome myself ! Very appealing.

7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks for that info. Gotheborg says his large forehead represents wisdom and long beard represents long life.

Wisdom and long life... I like that. :)

8. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Thanks for the measurement.

To answer your question, the best answer is probably "wisdom." In this case I mean physical observations combined with a knowledge of when similar items were produced and marketed in quantity and for what market these were made. I'd guess you wouldn't find any on the market before WWII, because there was little or no market then. I think these were made for export for souvenir and gift use as opposed to any serious domestic sales in the country of origin. Production may have peaked around 1970. But notice I'm only about 91% sure. No question that this one shows high-quality carving. If the craftsman had signed his work I'd give it a higher score.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    komokwa likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the carving's nice, but i've seen higher quality ......and you're right to expect a siggy on an older ......and better work.
    just tourist quality...to my eye.

10. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

You no doubt know the following, but in case not.... This carving represents one of the Chinese 8 Immortal - Shou-xing, aka SHOU-HSING, SHOU-LAO, and NAN-JI-XIAN-WENG. An old man with a huge bald head is a dead give-away to his identity. Shou-xing was the god of longivity. He is represented by the staff and carrying a peach of immortality. FWIW, I agree he probably dates from Mid 20th century.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Shou-xing&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

11. Old-Soul

Old-Soul New Member

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    SBSVC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted