Featured Chinese Butterfly Plate. HOW OLD?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by vitry-le-francois, Aug 26, 2017.

1. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

I recently purchased a box lot of Chinese porcelain at a local auction. Got some good stuff from what I have been able to identify. However, this plate has no markings. I am assuming it is Chinese because all of the other items were as such. This has no markings. Any idea on the who/when/where/what & why? THANKS!

butterfly5.jpg butterfly4.jpg butterfly2.jpg butterfly1.jpg

2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

There is a pattern called Thousand Butterflies.

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think you are correct with Chinese attribution. I think the date is around 1880s.

I'm basing this on 2 plates I had in a different pattern, with the same sort of base.
    Took them to an auction appraisal and that is what I was told. They also said, ladies from England would have dinnerware made in China and shipped home. Don't know how correct he was.

4. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

thanks for the info :)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, Chinese, mid to late 19th century. Probably from Macao or nearby Canton/Guangdong.
    Ever since European trade with China and Japan, pieces were commisioned by Europeans. The first on the scene were, as ever, the Portuguese, ca 1513. The Dutch, who commisioned more than the others, followed in 1622. The British got their first trading post in 1672, in Taiwan. Taiwan, by the way, got it's European name Formosa from the Portuguese 'ilha formosa', which means beautiful island.
    Commisions would always go through the trade companies. Before 1858 English ladies (and gentlemen) would have put in an order with the British East India Company, which was nationalised in 1858. After that there were smaller trading agencies, regulated by the British government.
    Early European commisioned Chinese porcelain is called 'Chine de commande'. It has to be recognized as such, for instance through European coats of arms, European subjects, or styles that were particularly fashionable in Europe.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

NO idea, but OH MY GOODNESS!!!!! HOW pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):):):):):)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted