Chinese bowl?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Houseful, May 10, 2017.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about this, the base mark tells me nothing. The pagoda is the only thing I recognise as Asian. Does anyone else know what the interior and outer motif is supposed to be or mean please? Thanks. There are 3 spots on the inner which I assume is due to kiln stilts. CS find for a £1. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Size is just over 7" diameter and 4 half ins high..

aaroncab likes this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Can't tell for sure what the body is but it looks like English pearlware which is an earthenware. This pattern is late 18th into early 19th century.

Bakersgma likes this.
  3. Houseful

Thanks SIS, there is a greenish/blue colour to the glaze at the base which I understood indicated pearlware, it's just the design that's confusing me including the cross hatched pattern on the inner rim. I suppose things did get copied when they came over from China etc

4. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Bakersgma likes this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

6. Houseful

Thanks Susan I will have a look at the Nanking Cargo but I've followed SIS's direction and think she has nailed it. There's one on EBay that is so similar even down to the inner rock/boulder' pattern. It's on as Knottingly pearlware, c1800 Chinese Fence.
    It went for £75 even having big chip and crack so I'm well pleased.

7. Houseful

8. Houseful

9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I own one. :shy: Cross-hatched and all.

10. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

It looks very similar to Blue Canton.

Draft saved Draft deleted