Chinese blue & white dish, questions.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by hamptonauction, Aug 12, 2014.

1. hamptonauction

hamptonauction Well-Known Member

I this 9" dia plate old? No markings, but there are indentations on bottom. Any help appreciated.

My first time posting on this board, happy to see all my ebay Antiques board friends here.

Andy

chinese dish 1.jpg
    chinese dish 2.jpg
    chinese dish 4.jpg

Attached Files:

2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard!

The unglazed ring sort of has the look of old, but the blue tinted clear overglaze says turn of the century

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

4. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

>There is something about it that bothers me, and I'm not sure if I can put my finger on it. The back is messy, and the design just doesn't look right...

Canton Ware<

I had that same thought, but as my experience with this ware is limited, I didn't comment. I only have 1 piece, rice bowl, of Canton that was ID on the PGP for me. Also wasn't sure whether this dish might be Canton or Nanking ware. I think??? Nanking ware is more refined than Canton and the borders are different. I never can remember what border belongs to each. Is one a lattice border and the other a diaper border? I just don't have or know a good source to compare the 2.

--- Susan

5. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

To my eye, it appears to be a 19th C. Canton piece.

6. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

These stenciled designs seem to date late 19th/early 20th c. most often.

7. hamptonauction

Kentworld DO you think that this is a stencil? I looks hand painted to me.

Thank you for your inputs and links.

Andy

8. kentworld

Well, that's what I call it -- the broken lines suggest a template that is painted over and then the painter adds/fills in after. The darker blue means that there is more blue paint. Handpainted in a sense, as it's not a transfer, but not free handpainted, if you get my meaning.

9. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I know little about pots (or pans) but could it be European in pseudo Chinese style, and thus possibly Dutch Delft or one of the early British makers, and so 18th C. or earlier?

For actual Chinese it looks really rough.

10. kentworld

Seen a number of similarly decorated items ID'd as Japanese as well as Chinese (maybe Nuffsaid would know definitively), but usually late 19th/early 20th c as I said above. Both Japanese and Chinese wares can be sublime or rubbish.

11. hamptonauction

Kentworld I agree with stencil. AF I never considered the Delft.
    Many possibilities of origin, I just wish there was a way to know for sure.

Andy

12. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

13. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The plate shown is Popeye the Sailor to the Mona Lisa to the ones in the auctions, the almost cartoonish decoration is very evidently either a terrible job or an imitation.

But maybe it dates from a very early period before they discovered skill.

Pat P likes this.
  14. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Ha!

Or maybe was done by an apprentice, or on a day when the artisan had the flu.

Draft saved Draft deleted