Featured Cherub-y 11" plate, German?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Sep 26, 2024 at 11:07 AM.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Garage sale purchase. Was thinking "perfect for cupcakes". I only have cupcakes once every couple of years, so a bit impractical picking this up ($2). Same garage sale as the slipware mug. Thinking German?? What was kind of unusual garage sale banter was when the seller (grandson of grandparents who owned an antique store in Philadelphia) said, "Look, if you hold it up to the light you can see that it is bone china."

Not for resale (unless its more collectible than I thought), I noticed sort of a flaw, almost like this was "a second" or something. Look at photo below around "5 o'clock". It's almost like the transfer double printed or something on the edge. Same pink same flowers just faint. What's up with that?

pl1.jpg

pl9.jpg

Figtree3, sabre123 and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Very pretty. It has the look of a piece done by a china painter., as opposed to factory decoration.

Lucille.b and sabre123 like this.
  3. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I think that somebody slipped when applying that air brushed decoration. Looks like a hobbyist was trying to up-scale a plain plate. Look how the flowers in the centre are cut off by the straight line of the green colour, and the cherub decals/transfers are also an add-on.

Lucille.b and Figtree3 like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thank you MOS and Kent. :)

I am totally naive about how people used to up-scale plates. So a hobbyist would "air brush" a plate in a pattern? It certainly looks like that might have been the case here.

Also I was thinking the cherubs were painted, but since you mentioned transfers, now see that they are definitely transfers. So this was a craft piece from... 1920s? 40s?

Learning!

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Probably more like 1900. China painting was white hot about then, as a hobby.

Draft saved Draft deleted