Cherub Mirror

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Zeitgeist, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist New Member

Hi all,

I found this mirror at a shop today. I love it no matter what, but am curious to know more about it ...

The mirror is beveled and heavy, and "warped". The frame is finely detailed and looks almost yet is not ivory but resin, as I tested it at the back with a hot pin and it melts! :( , which would make it modern. Yet, with the old mirror, could it be 1930's or so anyway?

Thoughts? 20161102_193300 (2).jpg 20161102_163031 (1).jpg

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    It is a cute mirror HOWEVER I have a warning for you. Please do not use the hot pin test anymore. First it damages the piece you are testing. Secondly I have seen the test piece burst into flames and you could get hurt. There are a lot of experts here that will tell you the same thing. Glad that you found us.
    greg

3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Hi Megan,

This is a cool piece. I am not an expert in mirrors/furnishings but to my eye it has an Italian look. Can you show the entire piece in a photo and also an entire view of the back? Rough measurements or something to put it in scale would be helpful, too. Might help others when dating it.

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Agree with Lucille, full picture of front and back, plus measurements.

Don't know if it was originally white or someone repainted.
    I'm thinking more 1950s - 60s.
    In a shop, I would think without damage, this might bring a very nice price.

Draft saved Draft deleted