Chelsea or Samson Copy Draped Lady

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by StaceyFinds, Sep 14, 2022.

1. StaceyFinds

StaceyFinds Active Member

I found this piece recently at my local Salvation Army for $6 (which I was super excited about).

My question is, is this a legitimate Chelsea figurine (as the previous owner believed because of the label they placed on the bottom), or could it be a Samson copy? While researching Chelsea, I see a lot of warnings about Samson copies of different porcelain manufacturers (although still nice pieces), so I was wondering if anyone on here has knowledge enough to help me figure it out? Does anyone know when this piece may date to?

It looks legitimate to me, but I am new to researching antique porcelain.
    I’m having a hard time finding this specific figurine with google image to know what to call her. It has the gold anchor on the base and is approximately 11.5” tall.

Thank you for any help!

79D38ABE-6B57-4D36-B593-08D043CECC79.jpeg 0C2A976E-D40D-49AD-85D9-4F448C640F2F.jpeg 255F5817-0291-412D-B140-9DDAA39D2ED4.jpeg 172A4044-6F19-468F-AC90-2DD3FEDF6D4F.jpeg 6341D557-4270-42BD-9D20-DAB0ED1A7A3C.jpeg 2F270678-6B5A-4D51-B6BB-7CBFEAE799AF.jpeg F355AB9F-950A-41E9-9C56-D99E69023193.jpeg

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

kyratango and Roaring20s like this.
  3. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

4. StaceyFinds

Thank you for the reply. No, they’re not damaged. It seems like they painted her to look like she’s wearing fingerless gloves.

kyratango and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The Chelsea mark is copied as much as the Meissen crossed swords mark . To me the face just doesnt seem quite up to Chelsea standards,but Im often wrong. Shes very pretty nonetheless. Can you peel that tape/sticker back ? I see an incised 100,wondering if theres something else.

kyratango and Houseful like this.
  6. StaceyFinds

There is something incised to the left of the hole.

Attached Files:

kyratango and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. StaceyFinds

I haven’t cleaned her yet so I think that’s why her fingers don’t look as nice as they could along with some other areas.

johnnycb09 and kyratango like this.
  8. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Pretty much everything you see with the Chelsea mark you can figure it isn't. The incised number (100?) looks continental to me, but I wouldn't know if it's Samson or not. I dunno if Samson copied the Chelsea mark.

9. StaceyFinds

Thank you for your input.

kentworld likes this.
  10. StaceyFinds

What would be the best way to go about getting it verified as Chelsea (or not), because I would like to sell it at some point.

11. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Well, if you are on FaceBook you could try The British Pottery and Porcelain discussion group -- you have to join though. There is NO discussion of value, but you might find out if it's genuine or a copy. However, if you haven't, google Chelsea marks and Chelsea porcelain and will learn more about your item. :)

12. StaceyFinds

Thank you for the reply! I have googled but have a hard time finding very specific info for this figurine. Besides the one that houseful posted above, I see different versions of her that other companies have produced. And that she possibly symbolizes Winter? I’ll keep researching though!

kentworld likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted