Charles Schulz signed doodle oringinal Snoopy ink drawing

Discussion in 'Art' started by ZeeFinds, Oct 8, 2022.

1. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

I have just purchased a one-of-a-kind Snoopy chef drawing by Charles Schulz. It's a doodle drawing on a piece of good parchment paper done in ink. The date is 8-8-87 or August 8th, 1987 with a full Charles M Schulz signature that shows fluid, clean lines without hesitation in any of the loops or ligatures in the writing. The location is Sol-Y-Mar and is perhaps a resort in Cancun, Mexico.

Snoopy is drawn wearing a chef's hat and coat and is addressed to Steve. Perhaps Steve is a chef at the restaurant? The paper is 5 inches tall x 3 inches wide and Snoopy is 3 inches tall from the top of his hat to his feet. It looks good to me.

This is an unofficial review and I hope others see something to verify or debunk this small Snoopy drawing as real or real/unauthenticated or can be determined fake?

It came from an estate sale home in Northern California where there were many high quality collectible items from pottery, glass, furniture, sports memorabilia, ephemera, etc. The home was packed with very interesting items.

Snoopy.JPG Sig.JPG

Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
    reader and komokwa like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

what have u done to verify it's authenticity....

so we don't double dip !;):inpain:

3. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

there's no verification... I'm asking for opinions
    My opinion is real

4. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Looks shaky, but some of his doodles are pretty choppy. Here is one from a well-known autograph authentication company's (PSA) site-->:

charles-schulz-autographed-snoopy-doodle-7611.png

Maybe he was three sheets to the wind

ZeeFinds, Lucille.b and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Both of these doodles were done by the same hand.
    I'd venture it's the real deal.

CheersDears and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Oh, I think so too. An autograph. Done late in life. But I think the Cancun connection bit of a leap. Sol y Mar a very common name and there are more obvious candidates. A restaurant in Carmel Valley, for instance.

Debora

reader and antidiem like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

my opinion is that it looks real.

8. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I’d have bought it as authentic. Since he lived in Santa Rosa I’d bet there’s a lot of his casual work floating around the wine country in private collections. Meanwhile IMO it still needs to be authenticated but IMO it’s too personalized to be fake.

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

True, I was fishing a bit there with the name, and I realize there's more than one restaurant or resort hotel with that name. Given proximity, then the Carmel location makes more sense. Thanks for that info.

If only he had been drawing and dining at a business with a unique name! :woot:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
  10. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

I'm 98% sure it's real. Thanks to all for the positive unofficial reviews and extra info. The part of the siggy that really stands out to me as identical to others is the "M." I have also found examples where the lines of a Snoopy doodle are a little jagged as they are in this case.

I might have to get it authenticated? Or just try to sell as is without professional review. I did send an email to the Schulz Museum. There's an address on the FAQ page under the Appraisal Policy heading. I'm waiting for a reply.

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Getting it authenticated will get you the most cash. It will cost you more but it will get you more :)

Lucille.b likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree. Would need to be authenticated.

Debora

reader and Lucille.b like this.
  13. Sdcookie2

Sdcookie2 Well-Known Member

In my opinion, the piece is authentic.

14. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Mine too but IMO it should not be sold on the internet without authentication.

15. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I noticed you said it's on "good parchment paper" - what is it about this particular parchment paper that makes it so "good" because I'm not seeing that at all?
    What one person's opinion of "good" is - may not be another's.

I would not bother to spend money on a COA that wasn't even in existence in 1987.
    I'd not want to send the piece off anywhere and without doing that, there is no such thing as an accurate COA. Those make me doubt the authenticity of older pieces made before such a thing was in style. Too easily faked!

16. Have you examined this closely with a loupe? There are very clever printers out there. It has been my experience that museums will not authenticate art or drawings. I would sell it as is, and let the buyer determine if it is real.

Figtree3 likes this.
  17. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

Yes, I looked at it with a loupe. It's live ink on paper. It's not printed. The paper comment was meant that it's reasonable to think a comic strip artist would carry a notepad with decent paper and probably a fine felt-tip pen as tools of their trade for jotting down ideas. Or if a nice restaurant then maybe they have decent stationery for guests? At least it's not done on a napkin.

I'm taking it to a James Spence Authentication event in my area in a couple weeks. I'll post the results here afterwards. Today, the Schulz studio archivist replied to my email inquiry I sent weeks ago and said the signature looks real. We'll see what JSA thinks on November 18?

18. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

I got the word today from JSA. Snoopy is the real deal. Thanks for all who encouraged the authentication process for this personalized drawing by the Peanuts author.

I was able to skip the extra fees associated with postage, insurance, value, etc., and mail-in authentication process because there happened to be an event where the JSA company was present in Sacramento, CA not long after acquiring Snoopy. A couple friends and I, three of us, went to some estate sales all the day long and worked our way back to the SacSportsCardExpo in Rocklin to retrieve Snoopy.

Ironically, one of my friends bought a Douglas MacArthur signed 8x10 photo for a few dollars earlier that morning; and then I bought a Mickey Mantle "signed" baseball later in the day for $6. The Mantle ball is not real, it's printed with a bunch of other players–it's a real Rawlings MLB baseball though. The MacArthur photo is real. I looked at what my buddy bought closely with a 10x loupe and definitely it is a real signature. It was a signature day.

Boland, Lucille.b, Aquitaine and 3 others like this.
  19. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Congratulations, great to hear!!!!!!!!!

Boland, Lucille.b and Aquitaine like this.
  20. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

CONGRATS!!!!! Best of LUCK SELLING IT TOO!!!!

Boland and Lucille.b like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted