Featured Character of the attached toby jug

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Frank Robson, Feb 19, 2023.

1. Frank Robson

Frank Robson New Member

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

do u have pics of the base and rear..?

Aquitaine likes this.
  3. Frank Robson

Frank Robson New Member

Added photos

Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Toby jugs didn't always depict a known person or character. Maybe yours is simply generic.
    You could ask these people, they have a contact page:
    https://www.tobyjugmuseum.com/toby-jugs
    Very interesting!

EDIT: The largest two letters on your mark look like a script GD.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

These are from the base @janetpjohn's link....maybe someone can glean enough from the different colors...........and just getting to the other 2 images now....

1-GRAY BASE.jpg

2-YELLOW BASE.jpg

3-ORANGE BASE.jpg

Figtree3 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  8. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

That bottom string of letters on the image from the bottom of your Jug, @Frank Robson MIGHT just driver me BATTY (or battier as the case may be:happy:!!!!) Depending on how the eye wants to catch it......One minute my eye sees it as
    JDCPP... and the next as PC?PP !!!!! The TOP letters Script Cap G & D, with a tiny X before the G......there is also another BARELY visible X and AJ7 BELOW the Script G. I think that's a large #3 at the bottom of the piece......OH and I can't read what's I think script also and below/after the Script D.....Sorry couldn't be of more help!!

jug bottom.jpg

BOTTOM JUG-2_00x.jpg

11. ValerieK

ValerieK Well-Known Member

To my eyes - in the cartouche is G D & cie [and company], and below is CLOPPA, or CIOPPA, which is a known surname, or maybe a place. There was a G Demartine & cie in Limoges making pretty porcelain tableware circa 1900, but nothing like this, so that may be a red herring! Impressed marks can be so tantalizing in their illegibility!

Aquitaine, Figtree3 and Frank Robson like this.
  12. Frank Robson

Frank Robson New Member

Thanks for all of the responses. Very helpful collectively. I did a blue tack impress and put the possible letters into a crossword word finder and it suggested GRAPPA which might make sense. This would indicate an Italian wine jug though the term Grappa is also used in English

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. Frank Robson

Frank Robson New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted