Change of Pace for Me - Cut Glass with Butterfly Decoration

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Dec 18, 2014.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello everyone - I've been on an EAPG kick lately so I'm going to mix it up a little. This cut glass nappy measures measures 7 1/2" long. No marks that I could find. I tried Pairpoint but their butterflies look different. It might actually be a pressed blank with cut decoration - I don't have enough experience to tell. Thanks for any guidance you can provide.
    Don

Attached Files:

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Have you checked the top surface, dead center, for a very tiny and faintly etched mark? Sometimes letting glare play across the area helps. Sometimes they're just not marked.

dgbjwc likes this.
  3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Just gave another shot. Used different light strength, angles, and my jeweler's eye but still can't turn anything up. Thanks for trying!
    Don

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I had a Heisey creamer with that butterfly, but no proof Heisey did it and might have been an outside decorating company.
    greg

dgbjwc likes this.
  5. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

no idea on maker or decorator; but the motif looks like a dragonfly/skimmer with an artistic interpretation of the wings in motion (i.e. a 'flying' dragonfly)

6. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

I believe that is a piece of Cut Glass. Sometimes the maker marked the Glass with a number in one of the Cuts. Very hard to find. One point looks to be Chipped.

dgbjwc likes this.
  7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thanks for your ideas everyone. I'll research Heisey, Greg, to see if I can find anything about their cuttings. Thanks, Tallcakes - I searched dragonflies but that turned up even less than searching butterflies. I actually like it better than most of the cut butterfly decorations I've seen. You can almost see the wings move.
    Thanks for comments, Fenton. I'm going to give it more thorough cleaning this afternoon and I'll look for that number. There are a bunch of very tiny chips but no big ones - it's just an unusual way they cut the file edges.

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

This would not be an early piece of cut glass.
    Notice that the leaves are not cut but molded.

You might check out Pairpoint. Their leaves match, but I didn't have time to hunt for a match in their butterflies. What I saw were a little different.

dgbjwc likes this.
  9. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I can assure you it is not a Heisey cutting or a piece of Heisey glass. Sorry.

gregsglass and dgbjwc like this.
  10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

@dgbjwc sometimes the mark will show up using a flash to take a photo - here is one that is on a piece I have, had it for a few months and couldn't see it but when taking some photos there it was.
    DSC00223.jpg

dgbjwc likes this.
  11. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

I did a look through all my cut glass books...and do not see a butterfly pattern like yours..Will let you know if I run across it..with further looking......

dgbjwc likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted