"Chamber stick" or...? Age?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Lucille.b, May 10, 2017.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Was wondering if there is a special name for this type of candle holder? Also curious about age. There are no markings other than the small decoration on the side. Approx 6" high, 7" across, fairly heavy, weighs almost 2 lbs. It came with those green candles. Tops are removable, the bottom has a slight pink-hue to the metal. It seems to have some genuine age and evidence of use. Thanks for taking a look.

can1.jpg
    can1b.jpg
    can3.jpg
    can4.jpg can4b.jpg can5.jpg
    can6.jpg

cxgirl and komokwa like this.
  2. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I'd say if you like it, use it and be happy. More than 99% of the people who will see it have no idea of its age but will think "old" because of how it looks. Personally I don't like the patina but that's just me.

judy likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

very nice.....i'd polish it to a warm glow......and i think it's missing a snuffer..

& I also think it has honest age to it......not only by the patina...but by the craft and thickness of metal...and design...

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    judy likes this.
  4. Lucille.b

Thanks Spring and Komokwa.

I was curious about the age of this and what exactly to call it. Might be used in sort of a "show and tell" situation so want to get as much info as I can to pass along.

I was trying to find similar online, it seems that these candle holders with handles are called "Chambersticks" (..."Chamber Sticks"), but so far haven't found any that hold two candles, but maybe I'm using the wrong keywords.

If anyone can find a link of similar (again, for two candles) and/or put a date on this holder, that would be wonderful.

I have to tell you it feels very old in the hand and the craftsmanship is pretty well done.

Is there a chance this could be 18th century?

judy, cxgirl and komokwa like this.
  5. komokwa

right off the bat , i like that it doesn't have a screw and nut on the base.......

Lucille.b and judy like this.
  6. komokwa

hard as heck to find a double eh ?

these say french silver.........

[​IMG]

7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I like this Lucille! I've looked but can't find similar, will try tomorrow. To me it looks to have age to it, (not sure if I qualify as a judge on age though). Is that black paint in areas?

8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks right to me and think at least Victorian. I am also thinking maybe Anglo-Indian.

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I wonder if that was once silver plated - look at the black areas. I think early 19th.

Lucille.b likes this.
  10. Lucille.b

Thanks to all for taking a look. Getting some good info here and appreciate the help.

And thanks K, for finding a photo of a double one. Honestly I couldn't find a single version remotely similar online. Did that link call the French silver one a "chamberstick"?

Brad, will keep Anglo-Indian as a possibility, and thanks for taking a stab at the age, Bear.

Cx, if you find anything, please post!

The material on mine may have some kind of additional clue to age. I'm not great with metals, but it seems like the primary metal is steel. The holder is fairly heavy and the spots that are worn, where a thumb would rest or hand would lift it are worn down to a silver colored metal. Also some kind of brass colored coating and maybe black paint? Would black paint on something like this have been common?

Now looking I see small evidence of what looks like a bit of left over polish in a hidden spot. Maybe the polish from a former owner took the black off, but not totally?

Additional comments welcome. Thanks!

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    komokwa likes this.
  11. komokwa

i might have been searching chambersticks....but yes the word was there..

Lucille.b likes this.
  12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Lucille.b likes this.
  13. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Lucille.b likes this.
  14. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Gee, do disregard my previous posting. I now see that it does have a handle; therefore, a chamberstick. Sorry. Like Komo... said, the snuffer, rather an extinguisher, may be missing. It would fit on the arm opposite the handle. Then again maybe not for the finial on the end of that arm is identical to the finial on top of the chamberstick?

--- Susan

Lucille.b and komokwa like this.
  15. komokwa

tis a mystery, indeed!

Lucille.b likes this.
  16. Lucille.b

Thank you all for taking a look!
    I just emailed the site (thanks for the link, CX!) If they get back to me I'll post a response. :)

Edit: Email no longer works. Message delivery failed.

Was a good shot, though! Thanks

I'll keep looking around and appreciate the help. May remain a bit of a mystery.

cxgirl and komokwa like this.
  17. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Bummer on the address Lucille:( I looked around a bit on the site and the only double was in brass, looked like the one Komokwa found.

Lucille.b likes this.
  18. Lucille.b

I appreciate you taking the time to help.

Thanks! :)

19. komokwa

[​IMG]

u mean this one ?

Lucille.b and cxgirl like this.
  20. komokwa

you must have had to be rich to burn 2 candles at once.....or maybe one was a spare..for that long long walk to the bathroom in those old mansions !

Aquitaine and Lucille.b like this.