Featured Chalice with Lid

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by ascot, Mar 23, 2018.

1. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

I assume this is some type of religious communion object but I'm stumped on age and how to describe. The grapes motif makes me think it's for wine. I don't know what the metal is--thought it was silver-plate when I bought it. It was black with grime when I got it (haven't finished cleaning/polishing as you can see), and polishing shows a rather dull silvery gold finish with gold around the base. Magnet does not stick. The interior of the bowl and lid has a gold wash in amazingly good shape considering how bad the exterior was. I can't find a mark anywhere. It's 8 1/4" tall, base diameter is a hair under 4".

Any help on age, origin, metal composition would be greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Communion chalice? I'm used to seeing similar items made to hold the host, i.e. matzoh chunks if you're a rebel Baptist like me.(LOL)

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Looks like a ciborium to hold "Hosts" but it maybe a chalice for the wine. It is strange since there is no Crucifix on it.
    greg

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If it's Episcopal or another Protestant denomination there might not be. Lutheran maybe?

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  5. gregsglass

Hi, As Ruth stated it might be Protestant Episcopalian. Being a High Anglican Episcopalian it would have a Crucifix on it. The old saying goes "we are more catholic than Rome".
    greg

Bronwen likes this.
  6. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

There's a cross, though not technically a crucifix. Google images shows some of the lidded ones, but I don't see one with a crucifix, just a cross.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Maybe you would not want to use the Body of Our Lord as a handle?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree, a ciborium to contain the host. A cross on the lid is normal, it is there as a symbol of Christianity, not as a reminder of the crucifixion.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Christmasjoy, aaroncab and Bronwen like this.
  9. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on origin or age?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. gregsglass

Hi Bronwen,
    The Crucifix would be somewhere on the body or the foot, never on the top which was always just a cross.
    greg

Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Travelling ciborium. Catholic ones never had crucifixes, just the Cross.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted