Featured chairs - anything special?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by smallaxe, May 2, 2022.

1. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Handed down in the family (eastern USA), probably from first half of 1900's, two matching chairs. No visible labels or marks. Are these arts and craft, or something else. The front of the arms attachments seem unusual. Were re-upholstered decades ago, and that is now worn out. Trying to decide if we should keep or yard sale them.
    IMG_20220502_173149.jpg IMG_20220502_173156.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2022
    Figtree3, Joan and Ghopper1924 like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Just so I understand... They've been in your family for over 100 years and you're thinking of selling them at a yard sale?

Debora

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  3. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

There is so much stuff (my wife's family), we can't take it all. Young people don't care much. I'm trying to make sure anything special is kept in family and it's information known so they aren't lost. If I can tell relatives (including my wife) something about a thing, I can get them interested in taking and keeping it. The default is estate sale. I'm on a rescue mission.

Last edited: May 2, 2022
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Generic turn of the century mass produced chairs. I see these all the time at $5-10 here in Fl.

5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Feel fine to let them go easily.

Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Just to give @Ghopper1924 a shout to check!!! They look like nice solid 'arrow back' arm chairs with no damage, that for the most part need re-upholstering!! And a bit of brightening up on the staining!!

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not arts and crafts. Late Victorian and probably part of a dining set. Doubt the backs originally had upholstery. Would also not be surprised to find that the seats were originally caned. Look like they would be comfortable but unfortunately not much value.

8. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I'd call them transitional late Victorian/Arts and Crafts ca. 1910. The posters above are correct: not much value. However, they're DEFINITELY nicer than most chairs you could buy now, unless you have to have overstuffed leather or something. And the best thing is....you already own it.

But if you need to part with something, this would be a good candidate.

Figtree3, Fern77, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  9. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Ditto. "DEFINITELY nicer than most chairs you could buy now".

smallaxe, komokwa and Ghopper1924 like this.
  10. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Can't tell for sure on wood type from images - walnut or oak ? I really put them a notch above the 'inexpensive turn of century'. Decent turning on front legs & arm supports ... a bevel on rear legs. Lastly, armchairs in a pair is nice.

Figtree3, smallaxe and komokwa like this.
  11. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

The grain on the back slats looks like oak. If they were mine I'd stain them dark and reupholster with a dark fabric, or paint them a trendy color and reupholster with a matching fabric so the attractive lines of the chairs stand out--not the contrasting upholstery. They look fairly comfortable with the contoured back. With the right makeover i could picture them in a high-end home decor magazine.

Gus Tuason and Figtree3 like this.
  12. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

They're oak. A darker golden would suit them very well (as in just wax them) but the top rail upholstery I think they could do without if possible.

Figtree3 and Joan like this.
  13. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I agree about removing the top rail upholstery, but it looks like it was tacked on so there could be a lot of little holes underneath that would be difficult to hide.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted