Chair/table combo

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Shawnemery69, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Shawnemery69

Shawnemery69 Member

Pulled this out of an old shed. Curious about any specifics. No found marks. Table top flips down on wooden pegs. IMG_20211228_140232.jpg

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi @Shawnemery69 and WELCOME! I'm posting your image FULL SIZE, which you're going to always want to do in the future, by clicking on the very TOP IMAGE of your list of images just before you hit POST!!! Your Table/chair has a 'homemade' look to it....maybe for card table use....or whatever!! I'd start off with a good cleaning to begin with!! Might want to state measurements...others will want to know!! Show it it the 'table' position as well, please!!

IMG_20211228_140232.jpg

3. Shawnemery69

Shawnemery69 Member

Thank you for advice. Trying to figure it all out. Lol
    I will get more pics soon.

Hi2022 and Darkwing Manor like this.
  4. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

This is an early 20th century quarter-sawn oak (top anyway) example of the fascinating innovative (AKA metamorphic ) furniture types. They usually show up in commercial eating establishments such as taverns, starting the late 18th and early 19th century. I'm sure there are much earlier examples around though, humans being so clever and all. With the advent of steam power and factory mass production of furnishings, and with people moving off the farm into small tenements in the city with crowded quarters, innovative furniture really took off, often with humorous and sometimes startling results. I have even seen examples of bathtubs in pianos! Here's a good reference book on the subject. https://www.betterworldbooks.com/pr...rKacLCSGf8ku_gRgPNMDImHn8XmQq37xoCVpsQAvD_BwE

Aside from that, I don't know who the maker is. Any marks on the piece?

5. Shawnemery69

Shawnemery69 Member

Wow thank you for all of that! There are no marks that I found. Still need to give it a cleaning and maybe I'll find something.

Hi2022, Aquitaine and Darkwing Manor like this.
  6. Shawnemery69

Shawnemery69 Member

Here are a few more pics. IMG_20220129_151851.jpg IMG_20220129_152030.jpg IMG_20220129_152225.jpg IMG_20220129_152041.jpg IMG_20220129_152213.jpg

Darkwing Manor and komokwa like this.
  7. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

A conversation piece is what it is! Most of the metamorphic furniture you see is chairs that turn into library steps, and most people would still be curious about those. (I would have love to see that piano/tub)
    Might not be by any of the great names (Stickley, Limbert) but it is interesting and in good shape (all things considered). The upholstery needs "reviewing" and the table top is not visible, but that's a great find.

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  8. Shawnemery69

Shawnemery69 Member

IMG_20220129_151732.jpg

Fern77 and Darkwing Manor like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted