chair information, please

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Nanny, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Nanny

Nanny New Member

Hey y'all. Having difficulty on my behalf creating a post here

Attached Files:

2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Nanny, you may be having problems because the site is having technical difficulties - I am able to respond with text, but can't upload files.

It's a graveyard here today, there are only about four of us posting (mostly asking each other WTH is happening) since around 4:30, so I think it's really funny you popped up as a newbie, but welcome!

3. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums! As scoutshouse said, the forum is empty today because of technical difficulties.

Very hard to tell anything about the chair from the picture. Does the wood and the upholstery really look like that, that bad? From the little I can see, I would describe it as a Victorian upholstered balloon back side chair with a carved crest. If this is an authentic, a period, Victorian balloon back chair it may date from the 1880s, if not then it would be in that style. Better clearer pics would certainly help in IDing. Wait for other to chime in.

--- Susan

Here is an edited version of your picture that is slightly better, but not by much.

VicBallonBkChair.jpg

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

From what I can see it's probably the real thing. What it's worth is best left to furniture people. Part of the problem is the upload feature on the site only allows images with a very limited size. Resize to 600x800 and photos will load. I had to hit CNET for a nice little free photo editor so I could resize to post on the boards. ...and then the system admin has to get the security certificate reset so most of the boardies can get through!

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Is it painted shiny black?

Looks like 1880s

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Bad pic, but I don't think it it's painted.....just dark........

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks right for an 1880s balloon back parlor chair to me. Most were Walnut.

8. Nanny

Nanny New Member

...well, if three posts by me thanking everyone for their replies and information suddenly pops up, please consider it technical issues on both sides of my computer.

More, and hopefully clearer, pictures to follow soon. Pretty sure the new pictures will only confirm what you folks have already figured out. The chair has a natural finish...no paint.

Thanks again.

Pat

Draft saved Draft deleted