Featured Ceramic lamp

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Martin s, Jan 26, 2024.

1. Martin s

Martin s Well-Known Member

Ok here is something that i havent actualy purchased yet.i was out and about earlier and this cought my eye. I like the colour and shape.

The cost is more than i would usually pay and asked could i think about it.

The lady thinks its mid century and she mentioned Denmark but i am not sure how accurate she is.

Its missing a shade but measures 20 inches in height and is fairly heavy

What ye think of this one?

Thanks for your comments JPEG_20240126_170652_resize_81.jpg JPEG_20240126_170846_resize_3.jpg JPEG_20240126_170811_resize_58.jpg JPEG_20240126_170713_resize_52.jpg JPEG_20240126_170752_resize_9.jpg

Figtree3, judy, lovewrens and 2 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I've not seen one like it.........it's kinda cool !

3. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

I like the shape quite a bit.Of course the socket & cord have been replaced but not all MCM lamps are 1000% original.I couldn't tell you if it was 2002 IKEA or from 1956-sorry.
    It all depends on how much she wants & how much you love it & will it sell soon (before you've researched the hell out of it ?)

4. Martin s

Yea i do like the shape too and with the right shade could be realy nice.a bit different.The lady wants €50 euro for it which is a good bit more than i would usually pay for a find but if it were from the 50s mightnt be a bad buy.not a good investment if it from ikea tho..

5. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

My sense is that the socket is original and the lamp dates to the 70's - socket origins will indicate much . . . If a Denmark lamp, socket will likely also be European. Could have one from USA, Mexico or Asia ? Any lamp with a nice substantial base such as this that also has interesting design is a one worth grabbing IMO.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not an expert but... I don't see 1970s. (Wrong shade of green, for one thing.) What's imprinted on the side of the socket?

Debora

7. bosko69

komokwa likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Nothing but nothing makes one feel older than reading a heading like...

"Vintage Pair of Late 20th Century... Lamps"

Debora

9. bosko69

70's,even perhaps 80's-'Vintage' ?...it's weird.
    PS-Martin,prices for a lot of things seemed to have positively sky rocketed in the last few years.This lamp w/ a shade could easily go for $150-$200 new at a retail store-sad but true !
    I'm gobsmacked people still put stuff out for 30P at car boot sales-I wouldn't get out of bed for that kind of profit,but perhaps many are just lonely for a little company ?

10. Martin s

Dont know whats imprinted on the side of the socket.i will have to go back to shop to examin it again if to find out.

Yea i think people do do do car boot sales for the company and for something to do on a Sunday morning as well as making a small few pound for stuff they dont want any more.
    Yea prices have skyrocketed here on even new stuff here in Ireland too.Theres a massive interest here now in Mid century Modern with some the main auction houses holding specific single day auctions.

Stuff that people were throwing out not too long ago is now centre of attention.i own a mid century floor lamp but it has the original wireing and shade so easier to tell its original.

With this green lamp as mentioned earlier its probably re wired and no shade so not as blatently obvious.

So do ye think it worth €50?

11. komokwa

no...not 4 u...

12. Martin s

Found this realy cool shade today and am now wondering if Lamp might still be for sale.Think they would go realy well together if i could actualy make it fit somehow.

Not sure if the shade made out of animal hide or some other material but would say it would look fab when lit on the right lamp .Shade seems to have some age to it too.

Shade measures 9 inches high by 12 inches wide approx

What ye think ? JPEG_20240209_144435_resize_69.jpg JPEG_20240209_144453_resize_94.jpg JPEG_20240209_144515_resize_75.jpg JPEG_20240209_144536_resize_34.jpg JPEG_20240209_144631_resize_80.jpg

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Love the shade. Too good for the lamp ... LOL. Looks like fiberglass to me.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
    lvetterli likes this.
  14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Shade looks like a Castiglioni cocoon lamp, though I can not find this exact form.

Figtree3, komokwa and Martin s like this.
  15. bosko69

Figtree3, komokwa and kentworld like this.
  16. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I think that they would look cool together, but you may spy a base you like better as you go about!

komokwa likes this.
  17. Martin s

OMG these shades can hardly sell for that much? i knew the shade was nice and a bit different when i picked it up this morning but not that nice.

Thank you Brad for spotting it as Castiglioni.i would have been google searching a while before finding it im sure without help.

Thank you.Is it meant as a celing shade then ?might not get that base afterall

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  18. komokwa

nice find on the shade.......now u need a ' better ' lamp !!!;);)

Martin s likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted