Ceramic figurine help please. Kurt Goebel?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by NTC Collector, Mar 19, 2021.

1. NTC Collector

NTC Collector Well-Known Member

190BBA2A-E53B-4A86-BF8D-DD5F962F2421.jpeg A79B85F3-32F7-4FB9-97DC-C3477D6FA481.jpeg Hi all, I found this little figurine last week and snapped it up. I’ve got a bit of Kurt Goebel’s work from Goldscheider and it reminds me a lot of that - especially the face and colours. The figure isn’t one I’ve seen. No makers mark but a possible number in red on base. I’m assuming not Goodscheider but wondering if it’s Goebel working for himself or a copy of his style - maybe German or Czech? Measures 14cm long and 16cm high. It seems to be ceramic made but with face and hands painted to look like terracotta (I’ve seen that done before too). Looks to be of the era 1920-1940 but just my guess. Any help appreciated as always. DD68859D-A24F-4224-8984-BC3DF8D9F03A.jpeg 32EAFB46-930F-47F6-89FD-3DCA88CB9CC8.jpeg BFA67878-6739-4C8D-A069-3C3827D076A9.jpeg

judy likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Never heard of him before, but having searched for his work, it sure does looks like his "face" style and subject. Horrendous paint job, though. So this was either an apprentice decorator's first day or a try-out piece that got out of the factory without getting marked.

NTC Collector and judy like this.
  3. NTC Collector

Yes the paint work is what has me thinking maybe Czech, and agree the style is very Goebel.

judy likes this.
  4. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

My first thought was Czech ...

NTC Collector and judy like this.
  5. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

I am watching with interest and don't know how to link to my post. I have one, too, and am in Sydney. I saw another once in Melbourne ... two suggestions back in 2018 were that it was Made in Japan :-( Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 6.58.20 pm.png Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 6.58.46 pm.png

Lucille.b and NTC Collector like this.
  6. NTC Collector

Interesting. I’m in Melbourne but found mine in regional Vic - 4 hours away.
    I had thought of the Japanese possibility but nothing I’ve seen looks similar. Anything is possible.

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I suspect it's a Japanese knock-off. The head mimics his style, but the overall manufacture, and the rest of the modelling and decoration, is of a low order.

BTW: all fired clay is ceramic, including terracotta.

Draft saved Draft deleted