cement birdbath is it antique?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by dude, Dec 26, 2019.

1. dude

dude Well-Known Member

IMG_20191226_143630.jpg 157739263825093792.gif 157739263825093792 (1).gif 157739263825093792.gif 157739263825093792 (1).gif 157739263825093792.gif
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before I break my back looking for marks, does anyone think this is an antique or recognize the design? Having lugged this, I'd say the bowl part weighs a good 50-60 lbs, and the base another 40 or 50. Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It likely won't have marks. It looks very old, near antique, but in closer
    inspection of the concrete and the way it is pitting, I think it is not pure portland, but an aggregate. Not sure it's antique, could be from the 1940s.

Christmasjoy, sabre123, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

'Portland' is cement, this is concrete, and there will always be some type of aggregate added to the cement in order to make concrete (lessons learned early, when my father was head of personnel for the Portland Cement Assoc.) Some of the molds used for concrete garden ornaments have been used for literally decades, hard to date...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Bit of looking around finds this very similar new production bowl on a different base (they're very often interchangeable):

concretebirdbath-1.JPG

This auction, the lot passed at a $45 starting bid, appears to have a similar base with a different bowl:

concretebirdbath-2.JPG

These two recent 'Sold' eBay listings for somewhat similar birdbaths, with local pick-up, sold pretty low (your local market may support higher prices):

concretebirdbath-3.JPG

concretebirdbath-4.JPG

~Cheryl

Bakersgma, Christmasjoy and dude like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Ahem. May I point out that Portland is also a stone: much of Victorian high end London is built of it. It comes from the isle of Portland. ;)

Over here, composite/concrete garden things sell very well if they're weathere and mossified nicely.

Christmasjoy and dude like this.
  6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Just a quick note. If you want the antique looking mossy finish. I smear yogurt with a live culture on cement animals and stuff and leave it within a few weeks the cement/concrete will start to turn a mossy look. If you want it faster just drop a few pieces of moss into a blender with yogurt and smear it on. Everyone who comes into my gardens always admire the antique cement figures. Some of them are only a year or two old.
    greg

BoudiccaJones, Fid, Sandra and 2 others like this.
  7. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Lovely old birdbath dude !!! ... Joy. :)

dude likes this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

You can also do that aging thing with liquid manure.

dude likes this.
  9. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Neat to know, but I'll go with the yogurt! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted