Cedar chest repair tips wanted

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by WilliamTK1974, Jul 7, 2021.

1. WilliamTK1974

WilliamTK1974 New Member

Hello everyone,

I recently posted a thread about a vintage cedar chest my mother gave me. I decided it might be wise to solicit repair information in a separate thread. It’s a solid chest overall, but it’s missing a few nails and screws.

0A9C0211-0880-4A43-AA49-C3724030D186.jpeg
    I’m not too well versed on thread pitches or anything like that. This is one of the screws that holds the top of the chest and the hinge together. Two of them are missing. One on each side. They appear to have copper colored countersunk heads. What would I need to ask for in order to replace them.

Since we’re on the hinge topic, the hinges also appear to be copper colored and have taken on some curvature that they didn’t have when the chest was new. Would it be a good idea to remove the top and bend the hinges back straight before attempting to fit new screws?

7B5C8609-C592-4B3F-B353-F7026633A57F.jpeg
    What nail should I use to replace the missing one here?

Thank you,
    -William

Bronwen likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

If there is an old fashioned hardware store near you (the kind with fasteners in boxes and bins and employees who've been there forever) take your screw over there and they will match it for you.

Is there a way to test how deep the nail holes are?

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

You can try a toothpick, or a hairpin or needle.....something thin that shouldn't break!!

Bakersgma likes this.
  4. WilliamTK1974

WilliamTK1974 New Member

I used the rod on a vernier caliper, but decided that length was only somewhat mission critical. My local hardware store had some cut copper tacks that did the job there. None of the screws I found for the hinges and catch were a perfect match, but some were good enough. Now I need to fold up a piece of cardboard to stick under one of the rear feet to get it to sit level.

Aquitaine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted