CDVs of family of Sir H Rider Haggard (author of King Solomon's Mines)

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Batman_2000, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Batman_2000

Batman_2000 Well-Known Member

I bought these recently because they seemed to have some history to them... they came in a small lot. Three are identified, one being William Haggard of West Bradenham (Norfolk, UK) and two are his sons Jack (John?) and Andrew Haggard.

There are plenty of family trees on Ancestry, showing that H Rider Haggard (the author) was also a son of William Haggard. And the man on the fourth (unidentified) CDV shows some likeness to the images I've found on the web of the author himself.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=h...=X&ei=-kehVfnvIufP7QaHvpz4Cw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg#

However, the CDV is dated 1872 and if it were H Rider Haggard, he would be only 16... too young for such a bushy beard? What do you think?

A more likely possibility is that the image is of another brother, since there were another three older brothers according to the family tree, who would have been 23, 25 & 26 in 1872. I'd love people's opinions on this.

William Haggard (father)
    Wm Haggard a.jpg

Jack Haggard (John b1850?)
    Jack Haggard a.jpg

Andrew Haggard b1854
    Andrew Haggard a.jpg

Unknown Haggard - resembles H Rider Haggard?
    Haggard a.jpg

And finally... the CDV below was in the same lot. It has 'Barton' written on the back, like the Jack Haggard CDV ('Barton Lodge'). And the comment 'in the dog-cart' is curious! Does anyone know what that might mean? We have the expression 'in the dog-house' if someone is annoyed with a person, so could this be the Victorian equivalent? Grin. I'd love to know what his connection to the family is (another brother, perhaps).
    Barton a.jpg

Thanks for looking and hope you enjoy the CDVs!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
    Figtree3 likes this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I do think the bearded fellow looks too old to be 16. Looking at photos of H. Rider Haggard online, I think that his nose is also too different from the nose on the man in that photo. Rider's had a large bump in the middle and this man's does not.

Is "3. Meat Market" an address?

Great photos -- thanks for sharing!

Batman_2000 likes this.
  3. Batman_2000

Yes, you're right about the nose bump... and the eyelids are different too. I'm thinking it must be another brother, since the resemblance is still strong, despite the differences.

'Meat Market' would have been the photographers address; not a very appealing place to have your image taken!

yourturntoloveit and Figtree3 like this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That's what I was thinking about the "Meat Market" address, too!

yourturntoloveit and Batman_2000 like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Batman_2000 likes this.
  6. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Isn't that last gentleman heaving a bit too starboard?

Batman_2000 likes this.
  7. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

here we go again .................not sure about this reference, but I REMEMBER when I was a kid we had a child sized 2 wheeled cart that was actually harnessed to one of the large kennel dogs and trotted us around the barn yard.............and when anyone was acting childish or was actually NOT an adult but had acted like one our elders would refer to them as "being in the dog-cart"............though on second thought I think I only remember my caregiver using that phrase, and she was from England

yourturntoloveit and Batman_2000 like this.
  8. Batman_2000

Thanks for the link, cluttered :). And if I understand correctly, silverthwait, then I agree... it could be why he was in-the-dogcart/house! ;-) Mansons, you've confirmed what I was thinking, and maybe there are just regional variations in the phrase.

I've found the autobiography of H Rider Haggard online (http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks03/0300131.txt). He describes himself at age nineteen as 'a tall young fellow, quite six feet, and slight; blue-eyed,
    brown-haired, fresh-complexioned, and not at all bad-looking
    ', with no mention of a beard.

He also wrote 'My father was a typical squire of the old sort, a kind of Sir Roger de
    Coverley. He reigned at Bradenham like a king, blowing everybody up
    and making rows innumerable. Yet I do not think there was a more
    popular man in the county of Norfolk. Even the servants, whom he rated
    in a fashion that no servant would put up with nowadays, were fond of
    him. He could send back the soup with a request to the cook to drink
    it all herself, or some other infuriating message. He could pull at
    the bells until feet of connecting wire hung limply down the wall, and
    announce when whoever it was he wanted appeared that Thorpe Idiot
    Asylum was her proper home, and so forth. Nobody seemed to mind in the
    least. It was "only the Squire's way," they said.
    ' This description definitely suits his father's image!

Draft saved Draft deleted