Catholic Pendants Find

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Travis Schofer, Feb 12, 2018.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

have to get in closer for a better look see.....

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the board.

I see quite a few that are probably sterling.
    A St Christopher. They generally sell well. If it is sterling even better.

Get a magnifying glass and check for "Sterling" - if not marked, then most likely not sterling. Only the really old ones aren't marked, or have the mark worn off. I don't see any in your collection that could might.

I put a red mark on the ones you should check.

Next time you do a collection, it helps if you put a number next to each item. Easier for us to respond to.
    I also don't like having to turn my head at a right angle. I'm kinda old an it might get stuck in that position.;)

3. Thank you for your response, I don’t see the red dot you were referring too. But I will check them all to see if I can find a sterling stamp. I am getting into this hunting and really enjoying the history I am learning.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

upload_2018-2-13_11-8-4.jpeg

Impossible to tell which, if any, are precious metals. I see two that could be, maybe there are more. The metal value wouldn't be high. There is some interest in some Catholic medallions.
    I see three popes in the top row, several which seem to be of 'our Lady of the Miraculous Medal' (st Mary of the Rue du Bac in Paris), a sacred heart medallion, st Anthony of Padua.
    We would have to see more detailed pictures of the others, preferably all of them.
    And like cluttered said, please think of our arhtritic necks.;)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I have gazillions of these from family. The sterling ones are probably worth more. I'd like to see photos of the backs, too. Sometimes there are tiny marks. I've done well selling many just because I inherited so much from my mother, aunts and uncles. Check completed auctions on Ebay to see if you have any of the ones that have sold.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

For some reason the snip that I copied and thought pasted is not showing in my response.

I'll use AJ's and redo
    Thanks AJ for turning it.

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

Sometimes after pasting the copy, I hit Post Reply too soon and it doesn't paste. I was in a hurry last night and must of goofed.
    Sorry.
    Lets try again.

upload_2018-2-13_9-29-16.png

I'm going on what I have run across and the fact that they appear darker in color.
    The coin may be as well, but the two holes indicate it was on a chain either for rosary beads or a bracelet. So value is lowered.

Figtree3, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

Use a magnifying glass the stamping is often tiny.

9. Thank you so much for your help, this website is a lot of fun and extremely helpful.

10. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

You cannot go by marks alone. MANY of these things are marked STERLING when they are not. Some sterling ones are not marked at all.

11. I plan on buying a testing kit before I put anything I buy on the market. I could not find a marking on some stuff but the way it tarnishes and sounds appear to be sterling. I guess testing it will be my best bet.

Christmasjoy, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

13. Any Jewelry, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  14. Chris Mount

Chris Mount Getting there

Do it Travis because when you do find something that aint marked but comes up sterling it' a bit of a buzz I must say.

15. Chris Mount

Chris Mount Getting there

Absolutely I buy bags of jewellery from a thrift store they generally check quickly and separate the sterling etc from the rest and the rest goes in bag. Most is rubbish but there was a bracelet which was very nice quality. Tested as 9ct but no markings I could see. Had to be one I thought so got my loupe and started one end and just went over it section by section and there it was on the small ring at the end. This thing is only 5mm I reckon but noticeable. Tough to take a picture but I never even thought it would be there. Not sure on all markings though need a stronger loupe. Happy purchase for 9 bucks. 15188117923140.jpg 15188117923771.jpg

16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Not bad for "junk"!

Travis Schofer likes this.
  17. That was the word someone used when I bought them :woot:

pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted