Cast Iron Warrior Pair

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Doug Ketcher, Oct 4, 2023.

1. Doug Ketcher

Doug Ketcher Well-Known Member

Good Day, I recently bought a pair of metal (cast iron, I believe) warriors at a local estate sale in Virginia. Nobody seemed to have any info about what they were or where they came from, but they are REALLY cool (I think...). The pair are 20 inches tall (h) X 6 3/4 inches long (l) X 4 1/2 inches wide (w) and each is quite heavy. The bases are hollow and I could find nothing indicating a maker's mark or factory designation. I searched online for an hour and while I found similar metal figurines, I didn't find anything exact, so was hoping some of you smart people might tell me who they are / where they are from / time period they were made. Any info would be MUCH APPRECIATED!! Thank You!
    CAST IRON VIKING SOLDIERS PAIR - 1.jpg CAST IRON VIKING SOLDIER W SHIELD - 1.jpg CAST IRON VIKING SOLDIER W SHIELD - 2.jpg CAST IRON VIKING SOLDIER W FIST - 2.jpg CAST IRON VIKING SOLDIER W FIST - 3.png

Figtree3, kyratango, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  2. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

Not a clue, but I would love to have Charlemagne be one of them!

Doug Ketcher and Bronwen like this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

4. Doug Ketcher

Wow! That's GREAT! Thank You!!!

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  5. the blacksmith

the blacksmith Well-Known Member

I have seen similar, and even repaired a couple, but those that I have handled were in fact made of spelter, which is a zinc-lead alloy usually with a bit of copper in it, which bends and works like lead. It was often used for statues like these and was quite easy to patinate. It was also easy to cast and get quite extraordinary details, which with iron wouldn't normally be possible.

Perhaps they are a stylised Vercingetorix and Julius Caesar?

Lovely statues by the way!

6. Doug Ketcher

Thanks for the insights, Blacksmith! Honestly had no idea what they were made of, but after reading some of these inputs and was able to use the info for more specified searches, I believe the statues are actually made of bronze or the alloy you detailed in your summary. Would definitely love to know who these represent (Vikings, Romans, Visigoths, Barbarians, etc...) or just subjects of mythology. ANY idea as to a timeframe these were produced? THANKS Again! Great info!!!

7. the blacksmith

the blacksmith Well-Known Member

8. Doug Ketcher

9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Doug Ketcher likes this.
  10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Hercules fought a lion and wore its skin and then he subdued the Hydra, multi-headed snake. I'm seeing echoes of that mythology with the 3 headed snake on his mail and the lion shield.

Boland and Doug Ketcher like this.
  11. Doug Ketcher

Excellent observation, Bev! Thank You!!

Boland likes this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

& what looks like a paw...hanging down his right leg..

Doug Ketcher likes this.