Cast Iron Hubley Parlor Maid Doorstop - Deal or Dud?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by mr2real, Dec 27, 2014.

1. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

This is a potential resell item that I came across today. According to liveauctioneers, the previous sale prices for this piece are Mar 2009 $1500, Oct 2009 $200, Aug 2010 $400, May 2013 $1300, Apr 2014 $1400. Also, there is one active eBay listing for a tad over $2100. Four out of five of the previous sales are all from the same auction house.

I would like opinions on how much the paint would effect the value. All the pieces that have sold have the majority of the paint intact (which could be a repaint). I don't see any trace of paint on this piece. Also, is there any explanation for the large fluctuations in price?

Would you take a chance on this piece?

Thanks,
    Joe

IMG_5300.JPG

2. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

>...is there any explanation for the large fluctuations in price?<

Wishful thinking. Warman's Antiques and Collectibles 2011 Price guide gives an estimated value of one of these in very good to excellent condition $258. Yours is no where near very good to excellent condition. The one in Warman's is 3 1/2" X 9 1/2". Is yours the same size? Your picture isn't good for judging. When I first looked at it, I had no idea what it was. I didn't know what it was until I Googled Parlor Maid doorstop. The bottom half of the doorstop is too dark to see anything. From the pic I can't tell if she has legs. The tag covers up her dress, apron. There is no pic of the back or the bottom.

Is yours marked "Fish" with the number 268? There are several of these parlor maids out there with all claiming to be Hubley. I don't know if reproductions of these are being made. China has been reproducing many notable antique doorstoppers for sometime now. Also "John Wright bought the old Hubley Molds and began his reproductions around 1940. His factory is located in Wrightsville, PA, right next door to the old Wilton Products Factory. ... All his reproductions are easily distinguished by his unique markings. His markings are an embossed rectangle with engraving in that rectangle."

The sig. of Fish is for the designer Anne Fish, "an English cartoonist of the 1920s, [who] was commissioned by Hubley to design 6 different doorstops."
    http://www.prices4antiques.com/Doorstop-Hubley-Fish-Copyright-Parlor-Maid-9-inch-D9756672.html

--- Susan

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    It is hard to see but if the bottom is black rust and the top brown rust it may be old. Usually if you see brown or orange rust it is newer. For 20 bucks and black rust I might take a change but try and lower the price.
    greg

4. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

The Fish doorstops are among the most sought.
    Four figure sales were pretty common back in the day.
    I kinda recall one of these Fish pieces even cracking 5 figures with 100% bright original paint. (in the 90s.)
    That said, paint is EVERYTHING in determining value. That would account for price variations.
    Repaints=near worthless.
    The one shown here, with the virtual 100% lack of original finish, doesn't have a lot of value in today's market.

I'd pass at that price in the present market, though I'd be thrilled to have found one of these rare door stops. The Fish pieces are all whimsical and fun.
    I dunno though. If you can be SURE it's an original....maybe that's not to bad, especially if you can dicker a little. Measurements would probably be the most accurate way of authenticating. Getting the correct measurements for an original shouldn't be to difficult. Bear in mind measurement must be SPOT ON for an original. Repros show variance.

BTW Anne Fish also designed pieces for Fulper/Stangl Pottery. Also VERRRRY desirable and RARE.

5. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I do not believe this is a reproduction of the Hubley's Fish design doorstop because of the rust, complete wearing away of the paint, etc...; however, as Greg pointed out, the color of the rust is an important determining factor of its age. According to the following Stangl Pottery website, some of the Fish doorstops, specifically mentioned the "Dancers" and the "Bathers," are being reproduced in China. The reproductions are showing up on eBay. They are well decorated, painted, and even have the "© FISH" trademark.

"Very recently, newly manufactured "Fish" cast iron doorstop reproductions have appeared on Ebay. These very faithfully mimic the 1920s originals in quality and decoration, even bearing a cast "© FISH" trademark. The "Dancers" are 8-3/4" tall, the "Bathers" are 11" tall. These also seem to be coming from China. They are high quality, well-decorated and have unfortunately fooled several collectors."

http://www.stanglpottery.org/fishiron.htm

--- Susan

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

So crash go the prices on Fish.

Draft saved Draft deleted