Cast Iron Double Eagle Plaque

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by techbiker, Jul 16, 2023.

1. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

Hello everyone!

Recently I purchased a neat cast iron double eagle and "cup of plenty" plaque for my craftsman-era house. Dimensions are 31" x 12". Mounting tabs appear to be welded on to the back. My plan is to strip off the dirty white paint and repaint the entire piece in silver to match the original color. It should look great over my front door. Seller says that this plaque was removed from an old house a while ago.

I found a similar piece on Ebay- that seller is claiming theirs is from the 1900's. Do you have thoughts on age, purpose/function, and manufacturer? Were these plaques a design trend or did they commemorate some event?

I can imagine the design stemming from the patriotism that followed the Spanish American war. The US (eagles) was enjoying its newly minted status as a world power. The various fruits in the cup of plenty represent the US's newly realized reach across the Americas.

Thank you in advance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2023
    johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

should be interesting in silver.......

techbiker likes this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't see those as eagles - not sufficiently aggressive - more likely doves. Nor do I see that as a cornucopia - more of a jardiniere. Given the size, I can imagine it hanging over a door or window, maybe an entrance to a garden, but I really don't know.

4. the blacksmith

the blacksmith Well-Known Member

aaroncab and 2manybooks like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with mos and blacksmith.
    To me the entire thing symbolizes marital happiness (and hope of children), or a happy home, which is not unusual to be over a doorway. Doves flanking a fruit and flower basket, not eagles with a cornucopia.

Where I live, these were often shaped like the "tree of life", sometimes flanked with the initials of the inhabitants.

2manybooks and the blacksmith like this.
  6. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

8. the blacksmith

Is polychrome a new name for painted birds?:smuggrin::joyful:

But yes, it does look good doesn't it!

moreotherstuff likes this.
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Doesn't look old to me, nor appropriate for a craftsman house..... JMHO. Looks more like the kind of adornment seen in Georgian architecture.

Any Jewelry and the blacksmith like this.
  10. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

About those birds: they look (to me) like rather effete eagles, or doves who have spent a Lot of time at the gym.

About the other thing: I have a bed with that representation on both the headboard (8 feet tall, and footboard (7 feet tall). Good to know there was a specific meaning.

Any Jewelry and Aquitaine like this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'm NOT sure of the different types of treatment available, but back in 2003 when we became the owners of many items from my parents, among them was a metal piece that was to be outside.....so my brother sent it to be 'powder coated'.....it's been 20 years and still holding up well....in ALL New England elements!! I think the most it needs is a GOOD Cleaning, BWDIK!!! This artist, Peruko Ccopacatty, acquired some decent notoriety as well (so I'm not sure my brother's idea was a wise one!), has done some HUGE works, and worked from the heart & soul, and used reclaimed or discarded huge (ours is a small proto-) metal...he was from Peru....I digress though....it's the powder coating we've been impressed with......just something to think about if the piece is going to be outside.....and you want low maintenance!

12. the blacksmith

Powder coating is very good outside. I have had all sorts of things from tables, lamps , gates etc. powder coated and it stands up extremely well. Black is the most usual, but it can be done in a wide variety of colours too.
    Well recommended.

Aquitaine and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That connection struck me as odd too, but WDIK about American styles.
    Ditto.

14. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Not at all Craftsman,but if you like it-rock on !

15. techbiker

Well thanks for the advice, everyone! Looks like my plan's a bust. I will keep looking for something more appropriate.

16. bosko69

Much of the best U.S. Craftsman work is the simplest.I've found good original pieces at scrapyards-think 'elegant but simple blacksmith'. English Arts & Crafts was frequently a bit fancier reflecting a Tudor influence. Dutch,French,Scandinavian,Belgian,etc all had their own take on 'Craftsmen' Arts & Crafts frequently reminiscent of Art Nouveau.
    These pieces are all new but reflect the spirit of American A&C ($5,$50,$200 respectively)
    A&C Pull.jpg ArtCraft.jpg ArtsCrftsLamp.jpg

17. techbiker

Thanks for the recommendations! I've installed a number of new craftsman-style decorations but was hoping to find something from the period my house was built (1913). Seller offered a refund, and I will take much more time to find a better antique or new piece.

verybrad, the blacksmith and komokwa like this.
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

we luv to help.....
    maybe , next time...shows us here 1st !!;);):happy:

techbiker likes this.
  19. bosko69

There's lots of the genuine article out there-you'll see some affordable period pieces online & at architectural salvage companies & reg salvage/recycle yards.

techbiker likes this.