Cast Iron Doorstop

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kardinalisimo, Feb 4, 2015.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Anything interesting here? Not super old but any guess on the age?
    By the way, what is that creature supposed to be?
    Thanks[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The creature is a male aquahydroquadropedd.
    The only land based animal able to run on water, but only when the waves are 19 inches high.
    You can tell it's male, because the females have no...................horns !

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It looks like sheet metal rather than cast iron.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

And not old - to my untrained eyes.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  5. kardinalisimo

Yeah, I guess sheet iron is what the figure can be called.
    What is it that it makes it to look not old? The condition of the paint?
    The base is made of two iron blocks. The metal bracket and the blocks are mounted together with iron rods as you can see from the last pictures. I would expect different type of joints if the piece was more recent but I could be wrong.

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have a set like yours only mine are four angels in a row with welded halos. It was a present in 2000/2001. I have seen other types of cut out sheet metal
    I forgot were they were made. Here is a photo of mine sorry it is cluttered. 008bbbbbbbb.jpg
    greg
    It has the same base as yours

7. kardinalisimo

any chance of closer pics of the base?

8. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

You can get a rough "earliest" date on the 4-legged one by looking at the construction techniques. OP calls it "iron" a few times but it is unquestionably steel, and I don't think most readers need a detailed explanation there.

Items like that reflect the tools available to make them economically and I think a CNC plasma cutter was used here due to the smoothness and regularity of the cut surfaces. "Hair" cuts were probably made with an angle or die grinder, and the eye with die grinder (a vibratory engraving tool would have done a neater job.) I'm thinking CNC plasma cutters came into widespread use in maybe 1990's but I haven't looked it up. It isn't hand-cutting-torch work or it would be a lot rougher on the edges, even if they spent a lot of time trying to grind it smooth. It could also be CNC-water-jet-cut but that wouldn't change the dating much-maybe put it a decade later. There's a very small chance it could be CNC laser-cut but that setup is so expensive you aren't going to see it used for low-priced deco items like this-only for aerospace and high-tech stuff.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  9. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Its really a chupacabra :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::p

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

komokwa likes this.
  10. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

:arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh: I am so sorry, I should have watched the entire video first, I didn't know it would be dead? I heard that these sightings are really dogs and sometimes racoons with aa horrible case of mange. :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

gregsglass likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted