Cast Iron Coin Tray, Bear Head & Paws, Unmarked

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by wlwhittier, Sep 12, 2023.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Google image is no help; eBay doesn't show anything close. I'm guessing last 3rd 19th C...bwdik?

It's seen some weather, judging from the pitting, especially on the floor of the ~3 3/4" round tray. ~5 5/8" long overall, ~11 ounces. No cleanup has been undertaken...yet.

I'll be most grateful for a maker's name...or any other pertinent information. Thanks for lookin'!

2F6F41A9-9C83-41E8-B5B4-760857543F98_1_201_a.jpeg 1F0A77C0-94BF-4995-A689-C53030AF1322_1_201_a.jpeg DBE74B98-B025-4880-97F5-C15F3980EE43_1_201_a.jpeg

2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Nice cast iron ashtray. Without any foundry marks or part numbers on it it may be difficult to find information on.

Boland, wlwhittier and komokwa like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

but.......it does remind me of a California bear..........

Born2it, Any Jewelry and wlwhittier like this.
  4. wlwhittier

Agreed. I discounted the ashtray aspect, as there aren't any grooves or channels for resting a lit cigarette. bicbw, it happens!

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks like a vide-poche to me. Very nice, and it could have a California connection, as komo suggested.

komokwa and wlwhittier like this.
  6. wlwhittier

Google Translate offers 'empty pocket', from the French...are you saying the tray is for the loose items from the pockets, on retiring or such? That seems like a far more probable purpose than as a smoking accessory. Thank you, AJ!

Born2it likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, only not on retiring, but on entering your home. A vide poche is usually on a hall table, and when you come in you put your keys etc on the vide poche.

I suppose it was invented to prevent scratches on the furniture, because you always need to put something somewhere when you take your coat off.

komokwa and wlwhittier like this.