Carved stone?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by rink28, Dec 29, 2019.

1. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

What exactly is this? The seller wants 15.00 for it. I just dont know much about it. I asked what it was made out they said agate or jasper. Would like to get opinions here if anyone has any info. Thanks!

20191229_115428.jpg

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nicely carved ....i'd pop for 15 whatevers , just for the workmanship !

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Why do you want to buy it?
    Because you like it? or want to resell it?
    I don't see much mark up from $15.

Possible Pisces with the two fish, but they don't look oriented correctly.

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Yeah it looks good quality

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Re sell if the price is right. They have more they said I just dont know what it's made of or how old

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

These are still being carved and sold today.
    Although that one has more detail and shows quite a bit of wear.

My motto: If in doubt - don't.
    In all my years of doing this, I can only think of 3 things I regretted not getting.

Christmasjoy, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Cluttered very true. I'll see if they can lost more pictures of the other ones he has and post back here.

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Chinese auspicious symbols, pretty, but also pretty mundane, and you won't get a profit with $15.

9. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Not agate, looks a bit softer but maybe that's just the fuzzy photo

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

I'll probably pass on them then. Thank you!

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Probably soapstone. For personal use $15 is about right. For resale it's a lot high. I've bought a few pieces for fun from church sales, but the Chinese can undercut a reseller here by about 75%.

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It could be serpentine.
    That's the problem, a lot of Chinese sellers on eboo and such are state supported. To them it is about selling, not selling at a profit. And low or no shipping cost.

13. Louise88

Louise88 Well-Known Member

What were the 3 things? :)

PortableTreasures likes this.
  14. clutteredcloset49

Only one thing of value.
    Another dealer bought it from the thrift store and went around bragging about. I had seen the painting the week earlier and passed because of the damage. I didn't buy it because I have too much stuff and my husband's voice was in my head, "Don't buy damage goods". Other dealer claimed to have sold it for $15,000. However, he was a talker, so doubt he got that much. I would have just hung it in the kitchen, because I liked it.

The other was a teapot at the flea market I was selling at. It was only a $1 and I stood and debated about it, but I have too much stuff and husband's voice saying "You need to get rid of things". Saw the exact same teapot a few months later listed in an antiques periodical with a big price tag.

The other was way back when I first started collecting in the 70s. It was a picture that I saw at an antique show and more money than I wanted to spend. By the time I had walked around and decided I wanted it. It had sold. I've always been sorry I didn't buy it.

None of them were items I was considering for resale. All were items I would have kept and didn't need.

Any Jewelry and Louise88 like this.
  15. Louise88

Louise88 Well-Known Member

That's so interesting, thanks for sharing, I hope you made up for not getting them with some other items along the way :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. clutteredcloset49

LOL
    You have no idea! ! ! :D:D:D

gregsglass and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

I walked around following a couple of "English" Chinese men , a couple , in Hong Kong with my ex-wife's female friend that worked there . I was less than impressed in the "Antique" district , seeing mostly what I would call "fake" antiques. The couple got a few stores ahead of me , when they came out as I was going in , they had a full grocery size bag and half a plastic 5 gallon water bottle full of vintage Matchbox / Lesney cars , both regular and "King Size", all new in the boxes , and I almost cried ..... could have been mine... and I do have all my mid 60's Matchbox cars but these were incredible... I think someone must have passed away and someone just sold them in bulk to an "Antique shop" . I did ask them how much they paid and they told me about $250 American , but there had to easily be a couple of thousand dollars worth of Mint Matchbox cars there . ...........

Later , I bought a neat Cast Brass Tiger with a broken tooth from an old chinese woman street vendor who was missing most of her teeth, she spoke hardly any english but she was joking her tiger was the same as her, missing teeth.... I was happy to buy it from her as I had been looking at a lot of the same "tiger" castings that were simply resin and I bought a carved wood stand for it and it sits on my collectables cabinet as a reminder of a good trip ( and what got away ) .

aaroncab and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted