Carved Stone Oriental Figuriine, Snake and Fish

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kardinalisimo, Feb 7, 2015.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Chinese and recent? Any idea of the type of stone?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Probably Chinese but could be Pakistani or other ASIAN-Mideastern origin. It is quite modern-the grooves that made the fish scales were made with a very-high-speed grinder. Carving quality is low. I don't know the sculptural stone that well but soapstone, onyx etc. are names used for that kind of stone depending on where it was mined.

You may want to consider replacing the term "oriental" with "Asian" as it is preferred among people from Asia, unless it is a rug. If you advertise something nice that an Asian might want but call it "oriental" they might avoid it on purpose. Maybe someone else will be around to say whether you should sweat that "cultural sensitivity" detail or not. Please either always include size or photo it next to a 12 oz pop can or other known object. I get tired of asking all the newbies this but most of 'em learn after one or two times. About the third time without dimensions is just frustrating but I'm not keeping a scoreboard here.

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Interesting: we use the term Oriental here to refer to Chinese, Japanese, and sometimes Korean. Asian hauls in a few more countries, but Oriental isn't seen as an unacceptable term. We'd not use Asian to refer to Pakistani, Indian or Bangladeshi - they're not in Asia, for one thing. ;) And certainly not for Middle Eastern which is a term in its own right.

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    It is also called Indian and Pakistani as South Asians here. I lived next to one of the largest Indian communities here in the states and that is what they called themselves. I also considered South Asia as Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Java etc. Also India and Pakistan was the Far East leaving China, Korea and Japan as Asians. That is why I hate being "Politically Correct". I am an American I do not consider myself as Welsh American or Alsacian American. If you are first generation here fine call yourself that but if you were born here just leave it as what it is. Why must we label everything?
    greg

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Forgot to say, judging by the floor tile this looks like a scroll weight with the three holes, to heavy to be a netsuke. JMHO
    greg

6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

My daughter informed me of the difference between Asian and Oriental. It's very hard to keep up with changes in cultural acceptance. Every generation seems to want something different.

gregsglass likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted