Carved letters on soapstone trinkets

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Eleonora, Jan 28, 2024.

1. Eleonora

Eleonora New Member

Hello everyone!

I registered to the forum because I'm hoping to find an answer to a difficult question. :)

I'm from Italy and have recently been to the States, where I've bought a souvenir for my mum: a little soapstone jewellery box by Design Gifts Intern'l Inc, with the carving of an albatross and a boat on the front. On the bottom left corner the letter K has been carved out, and pictures of the same item I found online seem to have the same carving.

Any idea what it means?

Warmly,

Eleonora

Bronwen likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Welcome, Eleonora! It would be helpful if you posted photographs. Would/could you do so?

Debora

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Figtree3, NewEngland and kentworld like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I see the "K" under the boat. Normally, that would be the initial of the artist. Here's an example of a Design Gifts International box where the artist has signed with his full name in (roughly) the same location.

Debora

dmFM5HjrV3i8KAYedywRlA.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Design Gifts International Inc.
    Those items are made from a moulded product called Incolay. Basically a mixture of resin and stone.
    I can't comment on the carved letter.
    Mikey

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

As above. These little boxes were mass produced and imported from China.

Debora

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They're old now though, or at least vintage. Probably only sold here, and people now collect them because they're pretty.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome, Eleonora. What we're saying is that the box is not natural stone of any type. It is a man made material, either Incolay Stone or one of its competitors.

all_fakes and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted