Carved Jesus/Shepard Statue with Lamb on Shoulders

Discussion in 'Art' started by AntiqueBytes, Feb 20, 2023.

1. AntiqueBytes

AntiqueBytes Well-Known Member

This to me looks like high quality carving, but I don't have that much background in

carved wood statues. It's 9 & 3/4" by 2 & 7/8" at the base.

JesusWoodStatue1sm.jpg JesusWoodStatue2sm.jpg JesusWoodStatue3sm.jpg JesusWoodStatue4sm.jpg JesusWoodStatue5sm.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Olive wood-just a wild guess.

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Olive wood without a doubt. Carved for the tourist trade, but better than a lot of them. Jesus doesn't look like that 17th century northern Italian hunk we always see. This one looks like a regular dude.

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

A search for 'good shepherd olive wood carving' turned up quite an assortment of them.

komokwa and AntiqueBytes like this.
  5. bosko69

They specialize in olive wood carvings in the Holy Land.There's also a lot of nice metal work that comes out of Israel.

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and AntiqueBytes like this.
  6. evelyb30

Silver jewelry, brass bits, and originally copper. Solomon had a copper mine so it's associated with the area.

7. bosko69

Right-on Evely,it wasn't Solomon's Lost (Gold) Mines,twas the Copper for pretties but mostly for that super metal Bronze.

8. evelyb30

That's why the Romans wanted Palestine and Britain. Cornwall had/has tin mines, and you need tin to make bronze.

9. bosko69

Go Cornwall & Poldark !

10. evelyb30

And my ancestors - some were tin miners!

11. bosko69

Some of my Wife's ancestors were from Cornwall.In the late 19th early 20th century the family moved to the California Gold Country to be in the mining trade.

AntiqueBytes likes this.
  12. evelyb30

Mine went to Michigan with the same thought. I suspect conditions and pay were better.

13. bosko69

Great Grandpa ended managing a mine in Grass Valley California-pretty place near the Sierra Mountains.

14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

A friend of mine lives in Nevada City, California -- just a few miles from Grass Valley. I've visited a few times... a beautiful area!

15. bosko69

I love that part of the state.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted