Carved Figural Tray Table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by simulant, Dec 7, 2017.

1. simulant

simulant Member

Hello all -
    My neighbor was going to throw away this table so I picked it up before the garbage truck came. Would appreciate any info anyone can offer!

The carved surface appears to be a woman holding a ribbon and riding a fish (sturgeon?).

The back of the table appears to have two marks -- there's a stamp that appears to be "1823 1/2". Not sure what's after the 1823 exactly.

There's also a cursive B with a fish like symbol below it. Could this be a makers mark?

Table surface: 26" x 20"
    Table height: 23"

Thanks in advance!

IMG_1704.jpg
    IMG_5720.jpg
    IMG_7009.jpg
    IMG_3195.jpg
    IMG_6986.jpg
    IMG_7971.jpg
    IMG_3279.jpg

kyratango and Houseful like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

You have strange neighbors....or the wife caught her hubby...eyeing those mermaids once too often ! ;):playful::playful:

Nice side table...nice carving...!

judy, kyratango, CheersDears and 3 others like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

And a glass tray too! Very nice and useful!

4. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I believe that she is a sea nymph riding a dolphin.

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Spot on. Amphitrite, Galatea or another Nereid on a dolphin.

upload_2017-12-7_20-5-36.png

If this opens to the same page I am being shown, you will find some other depictions of dolphins in art & decorative art sprinkled among the pix:

https://www.pinterest.se/pin/485403666067909784/

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Hard saying the origin of this piece. Quality of the carving is not good enough to be Victorian era. Hardware is not old enough either. I am thinking a post-war import. Some of this kind of thing came from the Philippines but this doesn't look quite like the work from there. Maybe Italy?

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I am always STUNNED by some of the finds that some of you pull off the side of the road!!!!! THIS, which is very nice, and that antique bed about a month ago for examples!!!! I think I would have given my eye teeth for that bed....I think it was a rope, tiger maple, canon ball four poster??? ALMOST NEVER see this kind of stuff in good 'ole frugal New England'!!!!!

8. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yep, was, found leaning up against a dumpster and was a period Sheraton bed. Which, BTW was a "real" antique as opposed to the normal fare around here, i enjoyed that thread too.

Aquitaine likes this.
  9. simulant

simulant Member

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Actually this was found in Rhode Island so there's still hope for you Aquitaine! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted