Featured Carved Corner Chair with Matching Side Accent Chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by John Donohue, May 9, 2020.

1. John Donohue

John Donohue New Member

9B5A2D84-3507-4451-819D-2392AD5C1F69.jpeg 0BBE5EE2-0836-4968-8058-257B326486EB.jpeg View attachment 251096 View attachment 251097 View attachment 251096 View attachment 251097 I’ve spent over an hour trying to identify these two Victorian carved chairs - one a corner chair and the other a matching side accent chair. No luck, I’m just not knowledgeable in this category. I did notice, however, that virtually every other corner chair from this era had a left and right splat with a center upright in the back corner location. The backs of my chairs are quite different, having a second, narrower horizontal rail (also carved), and no splats. Any information as to maker, date, type of wood, and value would be much appreciate. For some reason, I’m getting an Irish vibe, but more likely French? Thanks so much. Best to all - Americans and the world - in this time of uncertainty and danger. John

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    judy, Any Jewelry, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Greetings, John. To get the best eyes on your chairs, would you please edit your post to change the pictures from Thumbnail to Full Image?

Click Edit (below the pictures) then Other Options, untick Thumbnail and tick Full Image, then Save Changes.

judy, Any Jewelry and James Conrad like this.
  3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Hey John:

Looks like aesthetic movement, 1880s, walnut. Beautiful carving! I'm thinking English. Very difficult to know the maker without a label of some sort. Hard to estimate value; however, I do know that it's very easy to over-value chairs and that frequently the amount they bring at auction is disappointing, even with fine quality chairs like these.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    verybrad, judy, Any Jewelry and 5 others like this.
  4. John Donohue

John Donohue New Member

Thanks so much for your assessment! The chairs (and I) are actually in West Sacramento, California.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

judy, Any Jewelry, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Sweet chairs, I love the carving!

Draft saved Draft deleted