Caring for antique bisque figurines? Disney Minnie Mouse

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by spartcom5, Jul 26, 2017.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Hey everyone found my very first bisque figurine today at a thrift store for $15. I have been looking at these for awhile now but never wanted to pay the high prices. I am very happy with this figure as it seems to be in good condition. My question is how do you care for these things? They seem so fragile. Mine is sitting on a shelf on display right now. Should it be behind glass away from getting dust on it? Is it alright to handle itt with your bare hands? I read somewhere you shouldn't touch bisque with you hands because of oils and what not. Also, is there anyway to clean this safely? It looks quite dirty as you can see on the yellow shoes and white face. I have read some stuff online talking about using a wash cloth and some water. Is that it? Thanks so much guys I appreciate it!
    20170725_202026_resized.jpg 20170725_202042_resized.jpg

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I wash every thing in soap and water. Having said that, I have ruined quite a few things washing in soap and water.

This looks like what they call cold paint. Meaning the color is not baked on. Washing in soap and water will wash some of the paint off. So a wet washcloth might do the same.

Wait a few days until people have had a chance to chime in with their advice.

If it were mine, I'd still wash in cold soapy water. Swishing and rinsing quickly.
    I live in an area where things are stored in barns where rats and other vermin live. So I rather loose a little paint, but that's me.

Any Jewelry, cxgirl and judy like this.
  3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

me too cluttered - with rats and other things that have crawled (peed and pooped) over items stored in barns and out buildings I rinse before really looking at stuff.
    try wiping with a dry cloth first, see it the paint rubs off - if so don't use water or a wet cloth on it.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  4. Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter Del Pellegrino Well-Known Member

First and foremost is a hearty Congratulation! Without you realizing it you just saved a nice piece of early “Disneyana”. The very first detail that caught my eye was the fact that the item was impressed “Walt E. Disney”. This marking was used only for early Disney pieces made between 1929 and 1932. Furthermore the wording was reserved for foreign made items only. Had this Minnie been made in the U.S. she would have marked “Walt Disney Enterprises”. Based on the style I believe your Minnie was “Made in Japan”. I have seen similiar pieces sell for between $50 and $250 each.
    Are you sure the piece is Bisque? How do YOU define Bisque? I define Bisque as being a semi-vitreous clay fired once in a kiln. This firing leaves the product in an unglazed state which is still able to absorb moisture. As someone already noted Bisque is usually a process whereby it is painted without firing or being glazed. Thus the painting is likely to chip, peel, or even wash away while cleaning.
    Walter Del Pellegrino

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Well said Walter !!!:happy:

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

If you REALLY want to try cleaning her a bit, I would GENTLY try water first on a Q-tip in an inconspicuous place....if you get any color other than dirt....STOP!!!!:stop: And leave well enough alone!!! That would be MY suggestion....IMHO.....

7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Good advice....and a great find!!

8. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

I must first say a damp q-tip worked wonders and none of the paint even started to come off. However, I must say I am quite bummed about this. I never noticed this but the end of the umbrella is chipped off quite badly. I know chips in this kind of thing are detrimental. It honestly probably happened in the thrift store because they are not very careful with these kinds of things! Oh well still pleased I could save it but it's definitely not worth as much anymore, probably just what I paid but afterall it is my first one!
    20170726_150920_resized.jpg

Ghopper1924 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted