Capodimonte?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by GlenB, May 29, 2023.

1. GlenB

GlenB New Member

Hello,

I inherited this carriage from my late grandfather and am looking for more info on it. I’ve not seen any like it online. Supposedly he bought it for my grandmother back in the 1960’s from a shop in Brooklyn I think. I’m not sure if there are any markings on the bottom because I don’t want to erroneously damage the felt.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

3. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Wow that is huge. i bet it makes a stunning center piece.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

how can you tell how huge it is ?:confused:

5. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Komo, the eBay center piece is 26".:playful:;)

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  6. komokwa

Well , look who the cat dragged in...:happy::happy:..:kiss::kiss:

Nice to see you Birddog. !!:playful:

Your ears must be burning.....I was just talking about you...!!:):)

I was commenting on the OP's piece...which has no size posted...;):p

7. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Looks pretty modern to me.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. komokwa

looks like it's missing the reins and something in the ladys hands..

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Looks like the Coachman in the OP's NOR the ebay one has anything in their hands...........Maybe they're not supposed to????

komokwa likes this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The piece on eBay has BENROSE hand written on the bottom. I found a quote about Benrose in another forum. The person who posted it put it in quotation marks but did not give the source, but quotes from old eBay forums. It sounds knowledgeable -- may have possibly been written by Walter del Pelligrino (see my note below). Benrose was an import company in the U.S., and apparently dealt with Capodimonte-style ceramics made in Italy.

"Benrose imported pieces with their own labels. They used dozens of quality factories to create works for them but these factories were not permitted to identify themselves. Benrose owned the design rights and the molds. They could commission any factory they wanted to. Thus different factories could have produced the same item at different times.
    Capodimonte is used today simply as a generic term used to describe a perceived style. Therefore you can call it Capodimonte-styled if you want to. In my opinion your example closely emulates the style of the Carlo Mollica porcelains from Naples. It probably dates to the 1960's or 70's. "

Note: the reference to Carlo Mollica does not refer to the items in our current thread.

Here is a link to the thread in which the post appears.
    http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php?topic=6343.0
    The poster is quoting from the old eBay forums (dead link to those). The link title mentions Walter, and it is possible that Walter del Pelligrino wrote the original post in the eBay forum. But I can't be sure.

kentworld and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted