Capodimonte pieces

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Katie Lansing, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Katie Lansing

Katie Lansing Member

I have two capodimonte pieces. Both have different markings on the bottoms. I know the one is older than the other. I am looking for what age they both are. I have Google searched so please don't send me to Google. It's why I'm asking here.

20210120_214022.jpg 20210120_214038.jpg 20210120_214157.jpg 20210120_214359.jpg

2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Item #2 carries a Ginori mark, but is it real or 'in the style of'?

Here is an explanation:

The problem of dating pieces with the Crown over "N" mark dating from 1830 to about 1890 (see image below) that does not contain the word "Ginori" is that the Richard-Ginori company stole the mark from the King's manufactory in Capodimonte, Naples. This is the actual Ginori mark. Study it closely. Figurines and vases dating between this period do not say "Ginori" but the style of the mark does does not vary. It is always under the glaze and always in blue. There are always five rays emanating from the base of the crown and each ray terminates with a ball at the tip. In order to ascertain if a piece was made by Ginori one must study the overall figure. Is there a strong attention to detail? Are the glazes and paints applied with extreme care? If one is not familiar with Ginori porcelains from this period it is best to assume it is not a Ginori product.

Mark used from 1830 to 1890 without the word "Ginori" 1.jpg

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

There weren't too many producers of porcelain in Italy, Italians prefer to create in pottery to this day so it shouldn't be too hard to nail down. The box does look porcellaneous and is IMO more typical of the ware and certainly higher quality and older than the vase.

judy and John Brassey like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Try Google........:woot::woot:
    ( seriously......U asked for that ! ) :playful::playful::playful::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Poisonivy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted