Can't figure out what this vase is

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Sahib, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Sahib

Sahib New Member

It is pretty heavy , weights 13 oz and is 6 inches tall. Anyone has any idea if is worth anything?
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

KingofThings and lauragarnet like this.
  2. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Could you post a picture of the bottom, please? I can't tell if it's carved or cast.
    Here are the pics, for those who don't like the little clickies.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  3. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Agree with Laura - a picture of the bottom would help determine the composition of the vase - my first thought is that it is cast resin. Also - it depicts the buddha surrounded by disciples/followers. I've seen these around quite a bit - usually they are newer and cast resin.

4. Sahib

Sahib New Member

Here is the bottom.

Attached Files:

5. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Yes, still looks like resin to me. Probably fairly recent.

6. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Yes. Cast resin. It might be the original of this vase is in a museum somewhere and these replicas are sold as souvenirs. I would guess the original, if there is one, would be carved of ivory or cinnabar or some kind of stone, like jade.
    [​IMG]

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

worth what you can get for it.......

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Chinese resin, made to look like stained ivory.
    The large figure is Shou Xing, the God of longevity, recognizable by his long forehead and his snake/dragon staff (in this case more like a crane-headed staff).
    Shou Xing is the most popular of the Three Star Gods Fu Lu Shou.
    Because of all the many smaller figures, these vases are often called vase of the thousand figures, or hundred figures.

I agree with Komo on the value, there are many of these, and they are still producing them.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  9. Sahib

Sahib New Member

Thank you all for your help. Really appreciate it.

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME, Sahib!! Please, in the future, it's most helpful if you ALWAYS post your images FULL SIZE!! In case you're having any trouble, I've attached a short tutorial below to help you accomplish the same!!! Many of us can help along those lines, but I don't do it from a cell phone!!! Good Luck!!!:):)

zTutorialForIMAGES2.jpg

11. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome! :)
    Please always do as Aquitaine asks. :)

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted